When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wiz ...

speedbird72

Hi guys

I would like to share my " Wiz experience" with you .

I sent him 3 watches early April for servicing and also repair on one of them ..

His communication was all very good at the early stage but suddenly became erratic and worrying ... from the 13th of May , he stopped replying .

After many attempts , including phone calls , communication has been restored but again ,but ,  since the 26th of june  and 2 " gentle reminders" via mail , he stooped replying .

I do not believe I will see my watches again ... He keeps telling me bulls**t when he replies ...

It is not a communication problem .

I believe he repaired these watches ( and others ...  as I am not the only one in this case ) and sold them a long time ago .

I think he is desesperate for money and that is why he went on the dark side ...

I truly tried to believe what he said to me (  another accident ? ) , but that is too much ...

WIz ..? A RIP OFF ...

Sad ..

• Like 1

Well guys, they seem to come and go. Most of the time it's because they don't have a business plan, it's a part time hobby to make a few extra "off the record" bucks. Before long, because they don't exercise any control over who sends watches in and how many, they have a room full of unopened boxes of broken watches. After a while, the wife starts raising hell that every free moment is spent in the workshop repairing watches, the kids are unhappy because you can't spend time with them. And they keep coming!!Now, what was a fun little hobby becomes a nightmare that's worse than any regular job. Couple this with watch owners that have unrealistic expectations about costs and results, watches that have "time bomb" movements, lack of parts, and more broken watches arriving every day! and it's pretty easy to see why one day the guy just comes unglued. And all of this could be prevented by sitting down and developing a plan, have a rigid, no exception scheduling policy, and do not take in more watches than you can handle. Make sure that your customers understand the rules, and be prepared to enforce them. If the watch repair person sets it up properly on the front end, a whole lot of the horror stories would be averted.

I'm not taking up for the ones that seem to have the most problems, but I can certainly see where they go wrong, and why at some point they become unreliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well said, 153. You hit the nail on the head.

If fixing watches is not your full time job, who can be bothered to do it after a full days work?

I've fixed watches for friends, but I implicitly tell them that I'll have it for a few weeks. Purely because I don't have the time or inclination to sit there for hours doing someones watch when I have other interests as well as my own watches to work on.

If I'll ever become good enough to take other's people watch to service them (I've already redirected a compatriot that was asking me to do some stuff on his piece), I think I'll go for max 1 each week. I still want to have a life out of that and my daily job :)

In my case  , WIz had stopped taking matches after his injury . when I contacted him again ( early april ) , hé told me, hé   had cleared most of the backlog and was happy to take the work ...

I fully agree with you Panerai153 , but i did not force him to take the work ...  it would have been easy for him to stop the incoming matches by saiying : NO !

He did not and even told me the turnaround time was roughly 1 month ... 

Again , I am perfectly happy to wait , no rush , i accept the rules , but then , hé should not announce unrealistic turnaround times ... 

the worrying part in this is the NON existent  communication ... If you add it to broken promises , then you start goiing bananas ...

Edited by speedbird72

Imho Panerai153 hit the nail dead center on the head.

Most of this stuff is Junk (or Junque to ease the pain) and should tossed in the trash when it stops but since it cost $$, many want them repaired or modified.

...but there is always a catch:

DOA on day one.

No parts to fix it with.

Non fitting replacement parts when available.

Ultra cheapo case tubes, crowns, screws, and springbars.

Movements from the scrap pile sold as New! Swiss!.

'New' dry/dirty Asian movements that run and stop (if they run at all) .

Movements loose in the case.

Hands that fall off.

Dial markers that fall off.

Bezels that fall off.

Crystals that pop out or mounted unevenly.

Bracelets that literally fall apart.

Screws in bracelets that seize up.

Etc, etc.

So...

Anyone attempting to work on this 'Junque' better be pretty damn tough, good enough to fabricate and modify parts, have a sense of humor, and know how to say "NO!"

There are exceptions of course:

Good watches obtained by the luck of the draw (getting to be few and far between).

Noob etc watches made to a higher overall standard.

Ready to wear watches built or modified by someone who actually knows what they are doing...TC, BK etc.

Carefully assembled Frankensteins.

...and quartz Timex, Fossil, Citizen, Seiko etc.    :pimp:

In my case , WIz had stopped taking matches after his injury . when I contacted him again ( early april ) , hé told me, hé had cleared most of the backlog and was happy to take the work ...

I fully agree with you Panerai153 , but i did not force him to take the work ... it would have been easy for him to stop the incoming matches by saiying : NO !

He did not and even told me the turnaround time was roughly 1 month ...

Again , I am perfectly happy to wait , no rush , i accept the rules , but then , hé should not announce unrealistic turnaround times ...

the worrying part in this is the NON existent communication ... If you add it to broken promises , then you start goiing bananas ...

Herein lies one of the big problems, the repairer's inability to say NO! They are also guilty of grossly underestimating the time it takes to repair/ service any particular watch. They figure "best case" scenarios, rather than "worse case", and in a blink of the eye, they are behind.

I totally agree with you about the communication. From past experiences with modders/ repair people, communication is generally the first thing to go when they start having problems. Hopefully you will get this worked out to your satisfaction.

Folks should read and take note of these discussions related to problems with watch repair/modders. If you see where someone is starting to have problems, cease communicating or is returning watches with shoddy work, even if you have had good results in the past, I would proceed with caution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk