When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An advise from handwind chrono experts

GenTLe

Hi Gents,

I lost a lot of time looking around for a "super rep" of an old PP or VC, chrono with the well known and reliable Venus asian clone.

I'm not getting anything out of this research because it's pretty hard to compare the reps and the gen because the gen are really old (PP gens like the model 130 or  are from 1930-50 for example)...

So asking for your experience: is there any super rep of watches like them (not limiting the choice to PP or VC, I just like the style of them)?

I.e. this one is wonderful, but really can't get if it's fantasy or not:

G5xSL.jpg

How about this?

IMG_9958_zpsc1f05b4a.jpg

Our own AJ had them for sale as now old stock. It came in a lovely wooden box too.

Sorry for poor photo; I've just bought a light box so really should learn how to use it! This was (obviously) my first quick attempt!

Uh? What's that Kernow? Looking a bit with google, basically it's a chinese rebranded watch... Practically a kind of homage to the PP fantasy one.

Naaaa... :D

I dedicated some time to read and found a great post about the history of Venus 175 and Lemania calibers.

So I finally I got why the reps are not good: they have Venus 175. The PP and VC and a lot of others have the Lemania 2310, which has the pinions of the subdials placed in a different position.
Practically only the Breitling Chronomat, few Maurice Lacroix, Golay Spierer used the Venus. None of them are actually repped.

So, currently, the only one to get with such movement is the re-issue of the 1963 Chinese Air Force chronograph reissued in the later mid 200s by Tsinlien Sea-Gull HK (which hat too many colors between dial, hands and indexes, for my taste...)

seagull-1963-air-force-watch-sapphire-crseagull-1963-air-force-watch-sapphire-cr