When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building the closer-I-can-get 007 Big Crown

djulink

Txs JoeyB for your answer,

I did read your post and the ones it's provided but I have more to learn; for once, I would like the mod I'm building to be waterproof (if it is doable and not too hard to do).

Also i'm wondering about the dial: seems from the screenshot I took that it is not that "gilty" ...? and as you wrote: "the key is the dial"

I just ordered a Bond Strap from aliasmarlow : a 20 mm brushed strap.

I know there have been discussion about the gen size and it seems that 16mm would have been the right one, but I was uncapable to find a reference (on the forum or outside)

Anybody would have a tip about a 16 mm one ?

Remember it's all about the dial. Then you get a case and movement to fit.

100% agree you can use all gen parts., movement (no one ever sees this part!!) insert,pearl, crown/tube, bracelet, but if you start with a crappy dial ...... sort of like putting lipstick on a pig !!! The dial is the first thing people notice, especially anyone that 's the least bit knowledgeable about watches.

Check in with cc33, he's the big crown expert. He also knows where all the good dials are hiding!!

• Like 1

Txs for all your valuable comments !

I've just been in Parts Section - as mentionned by mada 1980 - to have a look at that gen movement ; seems very nice to start with (knowing that it comes with the big crown is even better).

Now - as suggested, I need to look for the perfect dial and case ; still unsure about the gilt question...

Txs for all your valuable comments !

I've just been in Parts Section - as mentionned by mada 1980 - to have a look at that gen movement ; seems very nice to start with (knowing that it comes with the big crown is even better).

Now - as suggested, I need to look for the perfect dial and case ; still unsure about the gilt question...

And the stem for a 6538 case :)

Life's a [censored], then you marry one!

Ok Gents, something I did not precise in my previous posts : It's going to be a budget mode.

Eventough lukenorris movement seems - and probably is - perfect for what I'm aiming at, I can't go this way as it is far beyond what I can afford.

I've been around few forums since my original post and I ordered one Tiger-concept 5508 to start with.

Then, I've been looking for "the" dial. Seems I'll have to go with a 27mm one to fit in the case - I've been looking at Yuki's, Ingod's and Raffles.

The last one is quiet cheaper but would not fit as it is 29mm dials.

to be continued

• 2 weeks later...

You could always shave down a 29mm dial by attaching it to a drill and running the edge through a file...

I am impressed with Helenarou's branded dials. They aren't gen spec as far as the gilt color - which is applied but the actual fonts looks nice to me. They are only offered in 29mm and 26mm.

I had a Tiger Concept v.1 case which took a 29mm dial. Do the new cases come with sapphire as opposed to acrylic?

If the tiger case you have is the same as mine, it takes a 28mm dial and shows 27mm. This can be checked with calipers if you have them.

There is a reason tiger calls the case 5508. I think a 5508/5510 dial at gen size will fit perfect. yuki has the size of the 55xx series dial as 27.6 I think.

Good news is if you will accept a 4 line dial, yuki has an ETA 6538 dial right now that measures 28mm should be perfect for your case. Get a ETA or selitta movement 2836, and you should be in business.

Toughest thing is going to be the crown. You will need to drill and retap the case for an athaya, live with a sterile, or put a smaller gen 602 crown in place, like on a 5508. See the trend.

Edited by Crwilsn

Txs Gents for your comments and the infos they provide.

Good to learn about dial sizes possibilities. I'll ask Tiger about the V3 and if it is OK to implement a 28mm one.

I'm trying to look for cheaper dials than Yuki's, though. So I'll keep on looking.

The crown work will be thought later on, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

The major issue with this watch as well as the Yuki 6538 cases is that rehaut. Very wokky and too deep vs the gen. Also I've never seen a rep case that had the correct case profile. The gen 6538 case has those long case lugs with the very tips turning down. This is as opposed to the more modern subs that have more curved lugs which on the wrist makes the lugs appear shorter than gen. I have a cartel watch which Pbdad reworked ....shaved down the crystal, drilled the lug holes, aged the dial. I think although inaccurate as all the rep 6538s are it is the best bang for the buck.