When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building the closer-I-can-get 007 Big Crown

djulink

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,

It's been more than a month now and I've been enjoying my Connery 007's rep. I put back the original metal strap but hadn't been able to find "the" dial... I guess, I'll stick with the Tiger one till I eventually find one that fit (I'm unable to sand it myself).

Anyway, thanks again for your patience and all the knowledge you've shared with me.

'Till then, Ciao !

post-66581-0-18640400-1417534344_thumb.j

Don't hesitate to shave down a larger dial. This is a dagaz Black Bay silver dial. It was 28.5mm. I shave the edge to fit into the 28mm Tiger dial opening.

IMG_20141207_225038_zpsiep6mqf9.jpg

I only took about 20 minutes. As with any case reshaping, take the material off in little bits. Shave and test fit, shave and test fit, and repeat until the dial is of the proper size.

Sent via my mobile

• 5 weeks later...

You are fortunate, 1 mm is not much. I have made dials from sheet brass going square to round, and reduced diameters in this fashion:

I use a piece of wood as an 'axle' through the hole in the dial. DO NOT USE METAL, it will enlarge the hole. Been there, done that. A toothpick will work if you are very careful, but they are not very strong. If it breaks your dial can go flying, and you don't want it damaged. You can soak the toothpick in water to make it stronger. Instead, I use a skewer made from bamboo for shish-ka-bob. With the dial on the 'axle' and your fingers used to steady on each side of the dial, touch it to a bench grinder. The bench grinder will spin the dial on the axle while you hold it steady. Just touch a little bit, check the fit, and again until it fits. 

Hello Gents !

Got the dial I ordered, today from the mail: 

Now have to sand the dial down from 29 to 28mm.

If you have any advices, let me know

cheers

Maybe a very stupid idea but can one use double sided tape with weak glue and use some kind of thick cardboard to stick the tape with dial onto it and after that use bow compass to draw a circle to dial? Use thick cardboard for better hold if cardboard is thin then compass needle point starts to move a little when drawing circle. Drawn circle can be bold but one can take it account.

That way one can use the circle as guide to sand dial more precisely.  :g: