When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone gonna pre order the iPhone 6?

dbane883

Iphone 6 plus, sold out in all country's during pre order launch...

Apple today revealed that overnight pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus set a new record, suggesting that consumers are indeed eager to get their hands on larger iPhones along with new features like Apple Pay, Apple's mobile payments platform. "Response to iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus has been incredible with a record number of preorders overnight," an Apple spokesperson told Recode in a statement. That demand probably has something to do with the problems users experienced when trying to reserve an iPhone from Apple's web store last night. AT&T has also said it's seeing more demand at this early stage than it did for overnight pre-orders of the iPhone 5 and last year's iPhone 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 6 beta using Tapatalk

Not all of us spent that much. I6+ 64gb $399

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 6+ with 64GB is $849. You're still paying that price even if it's supplemented through a contract down to $399.

Plus, I can use any GSM carrier worldwide at local rates and can switch carriers any time I want to because there is no contract to deal with. Freedom is a good thing.

Jesus Christ that's ridiculously expensive!!!!

Not only, but it's not 'groundbreaking ' anymore.

1gbytes of RAM, and basically it's a 'more of the same'.

Cook is not on par with Jobs, this is clear now.

And, all the smartphone/tablet market is much more 'mature' now if you compare it to the market of 2-3 years ago.

Maybe iOS could have a slight advantage , it can represent a small plus.., but nothing can justify that price tag.

It's not a premium device anymore.

Apologies for the brevity and any typos - sent with Tapatalk

A 6+ with 64GB is $849. You're still paying that price even if it's supplemented through a contract down to $399.

Plus, I can use any GSM carrier worldwide at local rates and can switch carriers any time I want to because there is no contract to deal with. Freedom is a good thing.

It's a work phone. I pay $0 after the $399.........

It's a work phone. I pay $0 after the $399.........

Who actually pays the money is immaterial to a discussion about the relative cost of the iPhone vs its competition. Apple isn't giving them away.

Purchasing the iPhone is really no different than buying a Rolex, or any other advertising driven brand. Often times the product isn't actually 'better', but there is a perception of value or cache associated with the brand that people are willing to pay a premium for.

The thing is there are two operating systems that are relevant to today's phone users, android or apple ios. Windows based phones suck imo. There's a huge difference between an iPhones experience and that of an android based phone. I can't really explain it well but basically the big point for me is that apple doesn't allow faulty apps or apps with hidden viruses to get into their App Store. My gf has an android phone and has problems because of this. I don't have to worry that an app I download will break my phone or steal my cc # or other info. I don't have to have an app to check for viruses or clean my phone because it's full of hidden crap. The iPhones experience is polished and intuitive, miles ahead of android in terms of user friendliness. They can charge me whatever they want as far as I'm concerned because I'm getting a better product. It holds it's relative value if I keep it in good shape and can be sold to fund my next one. There are some jokes circulating that the new iphone is comparable to android phones that were available two years ago.. That's nonsense.

I'm going to get the 16GB  6. the 6+ is just too big. I carry my phone in an Otterbox case on my waist, and the 6+ is just too big to comfortably carry it like that. I've been pretty happy with Apple phones, If you carry your phone in a purse or bag, I suppose the 6+ wouldn't be much different than a 6. I have  5 now and it's been long out of contract.

Quote I like

"Whenever I use an android phone, I get spikes of random lag, and an overall inconsistent experience. No matter which phone I use (I tend to buy and try then return if it doesn't meet my expectations), from the new S4 and HTC One to The new Galaxy Mega I always run into those same issues. It's not fun, because as a tech obsessed, new and greatest gadget loving man, it's a let down to try the best and new and have it feel like it was released last year. So far the HTC One was the closest to everyday usable to me. I love all the features that android has, and I do love how open it is and the customization, but I'm continually let down by the performance.

For iOS it's almost the opposite. I am frustrated with the lack of customization, and over all lack of how open it is, but I have never in my life had a more reliable phone. It has been hands down the fastest, most consistent phone time and time again."

Quote I like

"Whenever I use an android phone, I get spikes of random lag, and an overall inconsistent experience. No matter which phone I use (I tend to buy and try then return if it doesn't meet my expectations), from the new S4 and HTC One to The new Galaxy Mega I always run into those same issues. It's not fun, because as a tech obsessed, new and greatest gadget loving man, it's a let down to try the best and new and have it feel like it was released last year. So far the HTC One was the closest to everyday usable to me. I love all the features that android has, and I do love how open it is and the customization, but I'm continually let down by the performance.

For iOS it's almost the opposite. I am frustrated with the lack of customization, and over all lack of how open it is, but I have never in my life had a more reliable phone. It has been hands down the fastest, most consistent phone time and time again."

I pretty much feel the same way, I don't have much experience with android phones, but my wife has a Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet. I bought her and IPad, but she has a couple of sites she watches that are still using Adobe Player. Since Apple refuses to allow you to use Adobe products on their phones/tablets, she was stuck. I find the Samsung to be much less intuitive, and difficult to use than my IPad. like cc33, I don't like the lack of freedom that Apple imposes on it's users, but it's nice to know that you are relatively much safer from viruses, malware, etc. I'm not a big Apple fanboy, I like their products, but I'm certainly not locked into their products, especially just because they are Apple.

i'm amused

not that because i'm an Android convert circa 2010

but the fact that my senior citizen MoM can rock her Droids like she was born to it

while all ye, the Cr@pple faithful refuse to see the light

o well

someone has to make the winners look good

might as well be you :)

p.s.

did ya know every iPhone they make is constructed from recycled fluffy pandas ? :D

Edited by chronoluvvv

I've had this Nexus 5 for a year now, and also still got a Dell Streak somewhere that was used for a few months before being chucked in the cupboard.

The things that bug me about it

* Battery life is worse, even after disabling NFC, removing apps that use location services a lot, preventing apps from using backgound WiFi data a lot. Get 2.5 days on average.

* The "press button to show all your apps". You know the hated Windows 8, with a start screen, and a "down" button to get to a damn ugly, unusable long flat list of EVERY PROGRAM, HELP FILE and accessory? Remind you of something?

* I had about 140 contacts. Went on hols to my sister a few weeks ago, on the way there at a stop got phone out to call her. Not in address book? It only had 90 or so contacts in it? 50 had 'gone' (no they weren't just Skype or Facebook contacts) Oddly the "quick link" to my sister WAS still there, but as it was a link to absolutely nothing (not even a blank contact entry), pressing it did absolutely nothing, confusing as hell.

* The addressbook / contact list is a bloody nightmare. If you log into facebook you do not get a choice if you want it to sync FB contact info, it just does it. Making loads of duplicate contacts, contacts that you only have in FB that have NO info in them as the FB user hasn't shared info. Can't turn off FB sync without removing FB from accounts. Ditto for any damned thing it adds to "Accounts" (apart from Skype which is the only one that DOES give you an option to easily enable/disable contact sync - proving it can be done)

* Updated it to 4.4.3 a couple of days ago wondering if that could cure some of these problems. It may have, but the "cannot use camera" and, "bluetooth stopped working" errors I saw yesterday are not a good sign all has gone well.

* Android games are poor. Trying to find a decent action, racing, flight sim sim on Android is fruitless, there aren't anything comparable to what you can get on Apple. I've no idea WHY this is, as the hardware has been upto it for years but the game writers just don't port the games across. Fav is Radiant Defense, a static 2D shoot-em-up.

Apple is a very closed in ecosystem, I know the app writers tear their hair out sometimes trying to get app approval and having to jump through stupid Apple requirements, BUT the OS and UI still pees on everything else out there from a great height.

(I've got a Windows phone too that was tried for a month - very simple and easy OS and it all worked just fine, but far too restrictive for me)

• Like 1

Who actually pays the money is immaterial to a discussion about the relative cost of the iPhone vs its competition. Apple isn't giving them away.

Purchasing the iPhone is really no different than buying a Rolex, or any other advertising driven brand. Often times the product isn't actually 'better', but there is a perception of value or cache associated with the brand that people are willing to pay a premium for.

makes sense that apple bought Beats by Dre. then

terrible headphones used more often as a necklace amongst the youth.

for the average beats price of $300 you could buy SEVERAL pairs of studio quality headphones that far surpass the quality of beats

e.g audio technica M50

and dont even get me started on BOSE

indeed marketing is a powerful thing

the hardware specs of an iphone 6 are not greater nor equal to the Nexus 5 a phone that came out a year ago, a phone today that you can buy with NO contract for $300 canadian

NEXUS 5 specs VS iPhone 6

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPhone-6,Google-Nexus-5/phones/8346,8148

the biggest disappointment from the iphone 6 is the battery, and reassurances from tim cook thats its not worse, if anything its the same.

i had the iphone 2nd gen, ditched it after being frustrated with the functionality and very specific requirements for video files.

after i updated to the new ios and the experience was actually worse on my device i learned i could not roll back from the new ios, it was forbidden by Jobs, most every piece of mdoern software ive worked with had a rollback feature. and then there's itunes, my god itunes! the only thing that crashed on my pc, the whole synching of libraries vs drag and drop into directories with user defined media paths like on android. terrible! I was actually surprised to learn that you had to use itunes to transfer media and assumed i could drag and drop into a media directory via the link cable when all hooked up to the pc.

Also, before i updated to the new ios i "backed up" my device, i learned backing it up does not actually back up your iphone in the way that you think it should, my years of notes i had saved on my device, ALL GONE!

that single home button is far less efficient than the three button android too (app config/settings | HOME | back 1 step), i mean your car has more than one pedal.

no user replaceable battery, no SD expansion, these are important to me as batteries weaken and i wanted all kinds of media on an external card

also never agreed with apple keeping their technology closed source, all bottled in house, it hampers innovation. e.g airplay, DLNA is actually a superior technology, more robust, every electronics manufacturer has adopted it, even SONY, big bad DRM sony, all except apple, they stick to their primitive airplay and more people use it than DLNA (dlna is actually pretty amazing btw). along the same vein i am also reading the new iphone 6's use of the standard nfc has their own closed source twist on it.

for me android is actually more intuitive, i have also been around computers all my life, since the commodore 64 to DOS to windows 3.1 -win8, linux, unix

but whatever works for you :good: this is just my experience with the apple iphone and ios

I have followed this thread with interest.

I see the two operativ systems as an analogy of two political systems.

The first gives you the freedom to set the rules between the users. A part of the security is sacrified to get the right to publish and act with freedom.

On the other side the second system promises you a safe eviroment and an easy but unique way to perform most usual tasks. There is very limiting fredoom. You do not need to think that much.

I belive you can sumarize each system with one word

I am amuse and scare that the are prenty of followers of the second political system.

I am one of them. I run iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was a blackberry user, you could not pry it out of my hands. The Bold (at the time) I felt was the best communicating device ever made. BBM, keyboard, emails, call quality... It could not be beat. For 10 years I used that system. Having shunned The iPhone for several generations, I finally took the plunge with the iPhone 4.. Only because I was a early MacBook convert first (I am and always been a big fan of Pages and Keynote) and syncing/updating on the blackberry was a horror show (remember Blackberry desktop manager? Really?). While the transition was a bit worrisome, I had no regrets and the iOS certainly makes the iPhone "feel" like a superior/premium product to any other phone in the market.

Are the specs of other phones better than the iPhone 6? Maybe...probably. But for now, I will continue using the apple ecosystem because it simply works for me. Yes, the iPhone is now as expensive, if not more than a MacBook Air but I use an Air when traveling and it only has 64GB! My 6+ will have 128! Argueably, there's a lot more technology packed into the 6 plus than any MacBook, and relatively speaking, it's very good value (or so I tell myself).

What would be great is if the new iPhone could drive an external monitor like a Cinema Display and run OSX. Now that would be convenient.

But I do think that the "innovation" of the smartphone for apple and others is plateauing. All I'm looking for now is optical zoom, weatherproofing, sapphire screen, and that will be a device I could use for several years, not just 12 months.

That's why I like iOS devices. Everything work, syncs and updates with ease. I don't want to have to tweak and tinker with my phone or tablet. I want to know when a firmware update is released, I'll get it with ease and certainty.

Those who like to tweak and customize prefer android and I understand that. It's just not me.

"The first gives you the freedom to set the rules between the users. A part of the security is sacrified to get the right to publish and act with freedom.
On the other side the second system promises you a safe eviroment and an easy but unique way to perform most usual tasks. There is very limiting fredoom. You do not need to think that much."

Guess you can figure out which system I favor , less thinking less freedom is a good thing  :g: .