When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silix 6200 budget build complete

Kime

Build complete...

This is my "budget" Silix build.

Specs:
Case: Silix reshaped, drilled and tapped
Bezel: Silix reshaped
Bezel insert: Tiger Concept aged
Crown: Athaya 8mm
Dial: HR relumed and textured
Hands: Minute and Hour (HR) aged and polished, Second (OnlinestoreHK) painted
Movement: 2824 clone TY2130 (Cousins UK)
Plexi: Sternkreuz 30.6 HW
Bracelet: 7206 Rivet
Box and insert: Rolex

3_zps82ce702d.jpg

5_zps74d727ad.jpg

7_zps666a8971.jpg

8_zpsadafd436.jpg

10_zps8c8da00e.jpg

11_zps2a79c319.jpg

13_zpsb7188590.jpg

D9894843-C236-4544-8FB2-EBBFE2BA7B35_zps

Done !

I would love to repeat this process with a gen spec case and gen spec shopping list, maybe one day it might happen  :D

more pics and full build log on HF http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28343

• Like 2

Thanks guys, yes I enjoyed building this, I suppose I should add that I did everything myself, case reshaping, drilling, tapping, luming, ageing, photos, paperwork  etc. so nothing farmed out. It took some time but it was a satisfying process. If you are interest please read the build log over on HF.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments...

This turned out so nice. It is really stunning. I posted this on HF, too, but I was really wondering how you produced that brass effect with the bezel. It looks so gen-like.

Great photos and staging, too. :)

Thanks Mendota, the method I used was to heat treat the stainless steel bezel until it turned to the desired golden colour. This is the same method used to colour hands blue but just not as hot. So in fact over time this will wear back to silver the opposite to the gen  :D I did this with a blow torch which produces a fairly uneven colour but it can also be done in an oven I believe.

Very cool process.  I have a small butane kitchen torch for making creme bulee, so that would be perfect for this.  :)  When I get around to starting my project I think this is going to be one of those "must do" mods.  

I keep coming back to drool at these pics.  You did such a great job with it.  The aging effects on all of the parts is just fantastic.

• 11 months later...

Nice. I have bought a Sternkreuz for the Silix case too. As I am a newbie for these builds: How do I exchange the crystal. Can it be done from the front with a crystal remover tool. Or will I have to pop it out from the back. Also will I have to remove the bezel to remove the crystal from the front?

-Alex

Build complete...

This is my "budget" Silix build.
(respectfully snipped)
more pics and full build log on HF http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28343

Thank you for sharing the link to your build, the detail is incredible and the pictures are wonderful. Inspiration comes at odd times and while searching for possible plexi alternatives I stumbled upon this wonderful post showing just what is possible. Thank you.