When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seamaster 300 from Basel 2014 released on PT

maevit4996

ok so today was my lucky day just got the Omega in and lo and behold my tc lv version 1. what a day. I will say the omega is really nice but too big for my skinny wrist. it wears very big. WOW. I think i will list this for sale as a C&R...... But boy is is nice. Sorry about the awful pics. cell phone camera.

post-42997-0-55287100-1412026510_thumb.j

post-42997-0-19155000-1412026535_thumb.j

ok so today was my lucky day just got the Omega in and lo and behold my tc lv version 1. what a day. I will say the omega is really nice but too big for my skinny wrist. it wears very big. WOW. I think i will list this for sale as a C&R...... But boy is is nice. Sorry about the awful pics. cell phone camera.

attachicon.gifIMAG0901.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0902.jpg

Can you post a wrist shot please, pretty please :)

I definitely thought the bezel was matt and not liquid metal shiny. Now I am second guessing

No, the Gen is high gloss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKXVRL25vKI#t=81

Hands on here:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-seamaster-300-master-co-axial-watch-hands/

Edited by Pontiaddict

Yeah, I didn't realize. Not a fan of the polished mid links either. I was so excited for this watch, now... not. :(

I think it will look better on a strap any way :)

Me too, something like your HornBack... or other deep dark gator for the vintage effect. On that note:

Can one of the new owners please post the lug size of the rep? 

Edited by Pontiaddict

Yeah, I didn't realize. Not a fan of the polished mid links either. I was so excited for this watch, now... not. :(

This has been a pet peeve of mine for both this watch and the new line of straight-lugged Speedmasters.  If Omega wanted to pay homage to the old folded-link bracelets, brushed mid-links flanked by polished outer links would have been both more respectful and more practical.  (You're most likely to scuff the wide bits in the middle!)  Personally, I think Omega would have done better by giving ALL the links a brush finish.

I'm holding off from ordering one of these until I've actually seen the gen at an AD and confirmed that it won't look silly-huge on my 6.5" wrist.  Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing what dead reptile donerix puts his "Master Master" on!  :)

I think it will look better on a strap any way :)

I'm sure it would but I liked the idea of the bracelet had it been all brushed.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for both this watch and the new line of straight-lugged Speedmasters.  If Omega wanted to pay homage to the old folded-link bracelets, brushed mid-links flanked by polished outer links would have been both more respectful and more practical.  (You're most likely to scuff the wide bits in the middle!)  Personally, I think Omega would have done better by giving ALL the links a brush finish.

I'm holding off from ordering one of these until I've actually seen the gen at an AD and confirmed that it won't look silly-huge on my 6.5" wrist.  Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing what dead reptile donerix puts his "Master Master" on!  :)

I agree. Really not a fan of too much polished. I think it looks better as an accent but it shouldn't be too overwhelming. I prefer mostly brushed or blasted finishes and I would have much rather had a more POesq ceramic bezel, not the liquid metal. I guess this is a no go at this point for me.

Here's the review - the pics will follow either tonight or tomorrow morning.

The Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial (what a mouthful) is a great sized watch. I was dubious, seeing that picture of it earlier in the thread next to the LV and how monstrous it looked, but on the wrist, it kind of works like a GMT IIc (one of the other few modern watches I wear) - slim and close to the wrist, letting you forget that it's there. The lug length is 41mm, so it is bigger, but it honestly feels the same size or a little bit smaller than a GMT IIc - it's pretty comparable to a 5513. I tried to get pics of it with each of them so you could see the size difference. One of the problems that I think makes people feel like it is a bigger watch is the bracelet. As it is an SEL, it has the same problem as many other SEL watches - the bracelet connects a good 1-2mm from the end of the lugs. This makes it look incredibly long, but in reality it is only a tiny bit bigger than the GMT IIc. Overall, a great sized watch, and that says a bit. My wrists are so skinny that even regular Subs seem to dwarf it, but this fits right at home in the "just a tiny bit bigger" category of dive watches.

The readability is awesome. Seriously, I don't know of any other watch which is as legible at a first glance. I suppose I don't often mix up the hour and the minute hand on a Sub, but I sometimes don't see the second hand. Never a problem on this watch - the nice white crispness of the second hand makes it easy to see exactly where it is just at a glance. 

Now the review of the rep parts. Very well done, overall. The movement is not as bad as I had feared (the fact that it is a unidirectional rotor and that the seconds had a potential to stutter really worried me) but from what I've seen on mine the stutter is all but imperceptible (read not there at all that I could tell) and the unidirectional rotor is pretty quiet. I was fearing 21j noisiness, and in reality it is no louder than a regular ETA. The dial is deep black with silver numbers and cut-out sandwich dial lume markers. The daytime color is great (not too orange, and not too brown) and the lume is perfect - blue on everything except the minute hand and bezel pip, and let me tell you - it lasts for a long, long time. The bezel is pretty great too - 120 very solid clicks on an easy to turn by hand, virtually impossible by any other means rotation.

I even like the polished midlinks more than I thought I would. They're not that stand-outish, and they remind me of some of the older gen Omega bracelets I had from the '50s and '60s. I suppose I could brush them if I want, but I don't mind an honest wear. The push clasp extension is a nice touch too.

However, resizing is a PITA. Seriously - and I don't know if the gen is like this - but this is one thing Rolex gets right. On a newer Rolex bracelet, you unscrew one screw and the bracelet comes neatly apart. On this bracelet (which has links that are approximately 3/4 the size of standard Rolex links) you have to unscrew both sides and push a pin through the hole. Then, you have to keep the screws and pin separate while you remove the next set of screws and pins so that you can shorten the bracelet. Really a labor intensive job, and feels much less sturdy than the Rolex solution. One problem I had (which may not exist on the gen) is that the screws wanted to wiggle out, and it was a chore putting Loctite on all of them. Once done, it feels slightly more secure, but only slightly. Like I say, if I were using this for diving, and the gen is like this, I totally would not trust the bracelet, and it would go straight on a NATO.

Overall though, a very solid entry and one I would recommend to everyone. It satisfies the "modern" in people with the slick, shiny, polished surfaces and the "vintage" in people by being an almost exact clone of the earlier Seamaster. Not at all heavy or too big (which I find even the SD4000 fits into, or even the 1665 for that matter) but a solid, understated watch that would look good anywhere from the pool (which mine is officially rated for, per the Puretime WR printout) to the conference room. The only complaint I had was the fact that my bezel is not exactly lined up - it's about 1-3mm off of dead center, which probably isn't enough to bug me now, but may bug others, so that is one thing to check on the QC photos. However, that may be just a one off, and shouldn't stop anyone from getting this watch.

• Like 2

Excellent review, ww, and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. Shame about the bracelet; I wonder if the gen is like that? After all, Omega made a big deal out of its revised Moon Watch, which is basically the same as the last Speedmaster Professional, but with a screwed bracelet and a fancier box.