When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Ranger in a 36mm case

spazthecat

Hi,

So, I'm contemplating the Tudor Ranger. I really like it but I don't care for the 34mm size. So, I was considering putting a Ranger together using a 36mm rep Datejust case and Yuki dial. I know it's not accurate but I like that size and the more normal 20mm lugs a lot better.

My question is, regarding how the dial will fit in that case. The Tudor Ranger dial from Yuki is 1mm smaller than the Explorer dials normally used in those cases. So, is that 1mm too much a difference?

Thanks,

Andy

It could be a problem! The rep DJ cases typically take a little larger dial than the Rolex DJ cases and it seems like a gen DJ dial is still 27.6mm and could be as much as 28mm- just don't remember!

The Ranger dial will fit in a 1500 Date case or a 5500 case, but as you say, those are 34mm cases. But I wear my 1500 Dates all of the time and the difference between those and a DJ isn't that much, IMO.

Yeah, the dial is going to be either right at the edge (will chip the crap out of the paint) or fall through.  I usually machine a combination movement spacer/dial "platform" and glue the dial onto it.

post-24124-0-61740100-1411442030_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

The dial "shelf" sounds like a fun project if I had the tools to machine something like that. I wish I had the skills and equipment to do stuff like that. 

I was unaware of the Raffles dial. I didn't notice that on their web site when I had looked before. Thanks for suggesting that. I'll have to check and see if they have a no date version.

--Andy

Wow. The Raffles dial in the JMB case looks good! Kind of silly but I had the Raffles dial and the JMB case and never thought to put the 2 together :)

Edited by DVNE