When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moisture, dun dun DUN! GMT Master II

looseends

Haven't posted in a minute, so I'd like to share today's tragedy. While giving a presentation, I noticed my Rollie has fogged over... on the inside! This is a few hours later with the crown open...
 b25f42354988082.jpg

I'm sure my wrist was hot and sweaty, but I've done this before without the same result. Not sure how moisture would have built up, and certainly the body heat was not an unusual level. Never gotten it wet and certainly never submerged it, as of course our reps are notoriously not water-proof. Must be a serious gap in the case I'm guessing, and that ol' moisture seeped in today! You could barely see the hands earlier.

I will put it in a ziplock with a desiccant if I have any, or I guess rice supposedly works? This does not bode well for future performance. It has always lagged on a winder unlike a Deepsea right next to it. Maybe it's GMT shopping time again.

The caseback gaskets on reps can sometimes be improperly installed and as a result, will be pinched.  This will compromise the integrity of the waterseal.  If you open it up, you might find that to be the case.

If not, either the tube/crown or crystal gasket are to blame.  Either way, I would not panic.   open it up and get a bowl of rice and/or silica gel packs and let it sit for a couple of days.

• Like 1

Dbanes883 I disagree with you assessment, this has happened to me specially when is very humid, coming out of A/C room and going out to a warmer place and humid. it will flog if the crown is unscrewed, just leave in the sun and it will dry out then close the crown and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

I'm more on ciborg's side, if it were more serious as described by dbane I think I would have seen it sooner. It may actually be moisture that has always been in there and it just got hot enough inside but cool enough outside to condense. This is the first time and not under unusual circumstances.

However, it is pretty clear now just sitting open crown in the shade on my desk. I will try to sun method first, and opt for "surgery" per dbane if it doesn't seem to be resolved. I just hate to crack 'em open, as even if I manage to get it apart and back together, I can scratch the hell out of 'em (I have the caseback opener, and tried the rubber ball, etc, I'm just no good with precise work!).

Also for Zeal, the face and/or bezel were never properly aligned, so it is not a masterwork of replication let alone watchmaking to be sure. Could be the crystal.

Not sure from you pics, but some of the v2 Sub c's had problems with the cyclop glue that would start evaporating in hot conditions. Are you 100% certain it is INside the watch, or could this be another case of bad glue under the cyclop. Kind of random it should happen only in that exact spot :)

Edited by mrtoulouse