When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this method true?

Erict719

you NEVER turn the time backwards past midnight. EVER.

bad bad bad.

i hope you didnt break something..

i think the backwards date setting thing was possible on the old movements with no quick set. (1570)

i dont think it works on modern movements (3135). 

regardless, its never a good idea to set any watch backwards.

Edited by Bc1221

that was a method to use for a semi quick set way back with older Rolex movements. I believe I use to do that years ago with and early Datejust. I bought it from and AD and they were the ones that showed me the way to move the hands back and forth to advance the date I found this in and article on date setting of non quickset watches.

some of the older watches simply did not have a quick method of setting
the date, that came later, to check to see if your date can be set
quickly, turn the hands forward until past midnight when the date flicks
over, now turn the hands backwards until the date starts to move again,
now this should occur around 8 0r 9 o'clock now either one of 2 things
will happen, if the date moves back a bit then jumps back to the same
date then you have a quick set date, all you have to do is wind the
hands back until the date flicks wind the hands forward and it should
jump to the next number, go back and forth until the right date comes up
then set to time remembering the am/pm time period.

I don't know that I would utilize this method, but Rolex endorsed this way back when. In researching it, there were some folks who said that if your Datejust movement was old and worn, this method wouldn't work.

Rolex 1530 base date movements usually move the date one day backwards or hang the date half way in the window when you back the hands up. You have to go 24 hours ahead to flip it one day. After a few dozen (hundred?) hand trips around the dial the canon pinion becomes loose on the center wheel and the watch runs but the H and M hands do not move. Then you have to remove the movement, hands, dial, cp and tighten the crimp in the cp. If the cp has been mounted on the center wheel dry (no lube at all) they will sometimes seize and you can not set the time without breaking something or unscrewing the crown from the stem.

There is no easy way to qs a slow set 1575 etc. Imho the best thing to do is let it go or park the watch until the date catches up the next month. This is why you need two slow set rolex watches but only one no date rolex watch.

Wall calendars are a lot cheaper than paying to have a loose cp fixed.    :pimp:

Swiss Eta 2836 will not flip the date backwards. Backing the hands through the date change will hot harm the movement but should be avoided.

I have a 45 year old Bulova Snorkel and that is the way one sets the date. Turn forward past 1 AM and then backwards past 11 PM and then forward again. Even so, it will not flip the date backwards. Modern movements with hacking and quickset features do not support this.