When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Omega speedmastee Overhaul

Seanpz1

Hey guys,

Found my old (10 years) Gen stainless omega speedmaster chrono. Been missing for about 5 years! Tried winding her up on my watch winder with no luck. Guessing it will need a full overhaul. Anyone have any ides of cost and if I should use a dealer or watch smith from here.

Thanks Sean

The Speedy Automatic, aka "reduced" would start straight away. If not, you need an overhaul. I did get mine serviced four years ago at 350 €. It looked like new afterwards (all its life was polished off, which I did not ask for and do not like) and I have worn it vigorously since to make it look its real age again.

If it's an automatic Speedmaster Reduced, a service will run $600+ at an independent shop - probably more through Omega. The Reduced uses an ETA base with a DB chrono module which is typically replaced if there are issues. It sounds as if your watch has problems which may require more parts and more labor, above and beyond the cost of a standard service.

Unless...you have a handwind Speedy Pro, in which you can wind the crown yourself. For free. How does one lose a Speedmaster for five years?