When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage madness is there any hope for me?

droptopman

I have had an affinity for Rolex's for 30+ years, but for whatever reason I really had not spent any time looking at vintage pieces.  I would buy a new Rolex, wear it a few years and then trade it in on another new watch.  Usually different models, generally favored Submariners, but also tried a Daytona, a DJ, a YM......

I had been shopping for a gen Sub C when I found this place.  I joined this forum to learn about modern Rolex's and if I really wanted to spend the money on a new "bigger" looking Submariner, so maybe I could try a rep out to see if I really liked it.  First rep I bought here was a BK Sub C and it was also the first rep I sold. I did figure out that the reps here are very good and I could have a bunch of nice watches in stead of 1 new gen.  I acquired several modern rep versions since I joined and they are nice pieces and I wear them in my rotation, but none really do "it" for me like my gen 16613 did when I bought that way back in 1987.  I just knew it was the right piece.  

So the more time I spend here the more I am fascinated with vintage pieces.  It is weird how I missed this all the years, the intricate details, the elegant cases, the simplistic beauty...So this leads me to the last several weeks where I am crazy obsessed with vintage pieces.  To the point where I spend a majority of my free time reading and studying and shopping.  This probably would not be that bad if I actually narrowed it down to 1 piece, but I want several which leads to doing 3 vintage builds at once.  I do not really have the knowledge to pull off one without help and I am trying to do 3, been sourcing parts and information all over the place.  Not sure why I am writing all this.  Maybe its a confession or maybe a cry for help    :help:  Does anyone do interventions for this type of thing  :busted_cop:

Is there any hope for me?  

• Like 2

I know what you mean, but there is hope...

I always liked today's vintage rolex models, even back when they were new. The problem today (as I see it) is the ever escalating prices that have turned me away from genuine watches and down into the quagmire of Frankensteins and others of that ilk.

There is no cure.   :cry2:

Except for one thing...   :prop:

I also like vintage watches of other brands from the 1950s through the 1970s and have managed to hold on to quite a few over the years. I gathered up a few dive models from a manual wind '666' Bulova (paid $20 for it) to others such as a Hamilton 'two crown' compressor, a matching pair of Wittnauer manual wind dive watches (one slow set and one quick set), a half dozen assorted Zodiac Sea Wolf, a 1970s Aquadive etc, etc.

What saved me from blowing all my $$ on rolex projects were all the other brands that I like just as well and already have. They cost very little (many were $0), parts are not hard to find, cheap when found, and they all use common movements that can be picked up for $5 to $25. Plus...no one I come into contact with has ever seen most of them so I avoid the "Is it real?" question.

Today it was a 1970s Wittnauer Geneve automatic D/D single qs with matte black dial, steel case, and 10k gold fluted bezel. it has white date wheels with red days, black numbers, goldtone trit h/m hands, and a red tip ss hand.

Yesterday it was a 40mm ss/18k quartz Maurice Lacroix (!) and have been working on an Ebel ss/18k quartz 1911 that needs a new movement. It was doa and cheap from eBay but a new mvt is $200 or

$300 (Cartier/Ebel 87) so and I am using an Eta with similar specs, being the cheapskate that I am. (I do not know what got me into quartz projects but they have been trouble free when finished)

Watch nut rule #21:

There is no such thing as botch work on a quartz watch...as long as it does not show.    :pimp:

Nope. It gets worse. Rolex is infamous for not revealing, or not having, records of their vintage watches. They made changes from introduction through production, and made changes when serviced. The watches were more hand made than today, so they all have little imperfections making each unique. Add the aging and wear of 60 years and  each is even more unique. And that helps when building a replica. There is even a debate of which Submariner was the first. The 6200 has the lowest number, but the 6204 was introduced to the public first. There was no apparent rhyme nor reason for model numbers. The first GMT was introduced at the same time with the 'bakelite' insert. But within a few years they found the lume could be radioactive, so they eliminated the bakelite, and when serviced swapped out the dial (lume) and insert for non-radio active ones. Later ones also had the small GMT 4th hand swapped out for the larger one. 

Building a quality vintage replica can range all the way to freddy333's all genuine (genuine JoeyB insert) white dial 6542. But there are a few cases that have the basic shape needed, and with a little talent you can build a very close replica. My first build was a 6542 based on the first known 6542 build that freddy333 did. RolexAddict introduced me to the vintage 1675, but when I came to this site freddy333 was in the midst of building the 6542. I was hooked. I had to have one. Since then replica cases have changed to use the gen style mount for crystal and bezel. So I'm in the middle of rebuilding my first with an updated case and some other improvements that have come along.

I came to the forums years ago looking for a quality 16710 with a Swiss movement. The forums saved me from buying from a scam site for over $1000. That's all I wanted. Shortly after came the 116710. That was it, all I wanted, really. Then came  RolexAddict. And freddy333. And RWG. The 16710 has been re-cased using gen style bezel/crystal mount.

freddy333 posted a link to this site http://stefanomazzariol.blogspot.com/ Visit at your own risk. It's where I saw the 6204 'Sub Aqua' and had to have that! 

After I finish the 6542, again, I might re-case my 6204. It is great as is. I don't know why I do these things... :help:

post-16926-0-50480500-1412903380_thumb.j

...but I know I can stop any time I like. 'Hello. My name is JoeyB, and I am a watchoholic... 8)

• Like 1

My story is exactly the same, bought a couple of modern off the shelf watches when I first touched down.

Now I very rarely visit the TD sites I just research vintage Rolex and think "what next" V72 daytona because I'm not so happy with my 7753 one!

I'll get over it...one day.

Just getting there as well. Since the arrival of the Mini-Egi PAM and the 5513 with 3 6 9 dial I find myself always coming back to these and the urge to buy something new is simply gone. When looking into more vintage builds - that´s a different story altogether - and more rewarding fun, to be taken with time and ease.

Haven´t seen that Doxa Aqualung for quite some time Nanuq, still great as ever.

Dang, I was afraid of this.....sounds like most of you have given up any hope of ever overcoming this affliction.  At least I know I am not alone.  Oh well it will not kill me, my wife might though.

Oh and just for clarification.  No negative sentiment at all towards the BK Sub C, a great piece, expertly assembled by a true professional.  A good friend made an offer I could not refuse shortly after I received it so I sold it to him, probably the one and only rep I have ever made money on:)  His choice not mine.  He had to have it and would not wait to order one so paid an impatience fee to pry it off my wrist.  Also plan to keep my TC Sub and my dress watches build by Matt, but the rest will probably go up for sale in the near future.

My name is droptopman and I am a watchaholic.....there admitting it is the first step.

And my name is Per and I'm also a vintage addict. Have 20 projects completed, and 6 ongoing/planned (the truly addictive art of parts hoarding!). You're right, admitting helps, but have no hope (or wish) yet of full recovery. Really glad to have you onboard in the club, we need to support eachother!

Dang Joey, I love that 6204. Spectacular.

Thank you. My picture taking skills are terrible. In all honesty, you should see this in person. Obviously, I am a GMT fan, but liked the 6204 Sub when I saw the pic of the 'Sub Aqua'.  Since changing the hands to longer minute and more accurate hour, I just keep looking at it. 

The vintage bug bit me over and over again. I don't think I can ever wear a modern rep or gen. The new watches are just too big (and my wrist size is average).

I too agree with the "other brands thinking"... Here are my demon divers. A budget but true military sub that saw action in 69. The 1970 with the white seconds hand didn't see as much action as the 69 but both keep excellent time.

20140730_094309_1_zpsfcf2126d.jpg

20140728_152717_1_zps85d35c62.jpg

20140728_152733_1_zps50f2d0f5.jpg

The silver printed dials keep me staring when the light hits it.

• Like 1

I have a feeling I'll end up having more vintage than not in my collection to be perfectly honest. I have bought a Tudor BB (currently broken) and I have just finished a Rolex 1016. One vintage one faux vintage. There just seems to be something about them. I typically find (especially with rolex) that the modern watches are too bling-y and in your face. I also find that modern watches are too large for me normally. 

I have also found that after having quite a bad first experience buying from a TD (not the TD's fault but a dodgy movement) that I prefer to make the watch myself knowing what each part is and that it is being done at least somewhat right.

I think everyone's first vintage rolex is a sub. :lol:

I had no interest in them until I saw a 1680. After that, I absolutely had to have one. Since most reps of it suck, I had to find a decent base and mod it. Took a lot of time and a LOT of trial and error but I've finally built myself a decent 1680.

Love the thing but I hardly wear it these days after getting a TC. It's way more fun building vintage watches then actually wearing them IMO.

With that said, I hate plexis! They look great but damn do they get scratches. You can barely wipe the thing without making swirls.

I'm thinkin my next build will be a 16800. All the lovely vintage looks of a matte dial and sapphire crystal.