When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best build contest october 2014

davids100

Here is my Kermit!
Specs are:
Genuine crystal (no LEC/AR)
Genuine crown
Genuine tube
Genuine LV Dial
TC DWO(perfectly centered, pics taken at an angle, if it looks like its riding high)
TC bezel assembly
WM9 LV insert with gen pearl
TC hands
Re-shaped, Polished Case(WM9 V3 with engravings removed)
Fresh Swiss ETA
Gen 93250 clasp, TC links and endlinks.

All mods/frankening done by Ssteel.
After seeing all these beatiful vintage pieces i feel like a vintage piece is the next watch... Arrrgh this hobby.... Never enough haha

post-62901-141397908019.jpgpost-62901-141397909009.jpgpost-62901-141397909994.jpgpost-62901-141397910753.jpg

Edited by rillesnille

The best I can do is my Franken Rolex 5514 pre Comex:

HH 5514 case-set 
Rolex T-19 service plexi (gen T19 Superdome is in the mail)
Rolex 5513 MK1 insert 
Rolex 702 crown 
Athaya 7020 tube (a gen 7020 tube wouldn’t fit the case, athaya’s tube fitted perfectly!)
Rolex 1570 movement
Rolex 5513 feet first tritium dial 
Rolex 1665 tritium hands 

post-51669-0-33031400-1413979646_thumb.j

Parts:

Custom made highoeyazmuhudee gen spec 1680 case

Serviced Swiss eta 2846 movement

1680 Singer red dial feet for eta movement from highoeyazmuhudee

Hands from Yuki

Bracelet Chinese

Date Wheel Overlay used

Gen Parts: tropic crystal, 703 crown and insert.

Work:

Done by KeNnY building and lume job.

3wguMBh.jpg

f5BmyYP.jpg

5UDVomo.jpg

M9uweba.jpg

Truthfully I often find myself thinking of this exact case and dial combo that i sold and i truly miss it. but seeing the end result in your hands at least im very proud, of whats been accomplished. :good:

very beautiful, so much so, its worth quoting your post with the pics again :D

Wow, that's getting serious !!! I'm starting to regret to put up that nice yet simple 1016 on the table.... It can't stand vs the gens !!!! Can a restored gen be considered a build? Afterall, what will we be judging here? Skills in "restauring" a watch weather the parts are gen or not?

You've got a good point here. Maybe there should be a few tiers? (e.g. Under $500 builds, Under $1000 builds, Under $3000 builds, etc)

You've got a good point here. Maybe there should be a few tiers? (e.g. Under $500 builds, Under $1000 builds, Under $3000 builds, etc)

Definitly !!! Those are totally different philosophies ! You can't put up 90% gen parts builds vs 90% aftermarket parts builds.... I say, there should be categories. There are very nice all rep builds here, that took lots of skills to realize : but they can't stand vs the superfrankens. I for one, will put up a watch per category if rules are being set up.

My 2 favs, I've built other daytona's and other bc's but these are/were special (sold the daytona to a local friend, still have the bc)

Bc 6538:

Phong case, dial was redone using gen plate and methods, hands are MY aged and lumed to match dial. Gen insert and bezel, gen 1030 movement, gen t-17 sd, gen rivet 7206, gen crown.

6265 daytona:

Phong case, gen orig big red dial, gen orig hands, gen tropic 21 sd and gen pushers. Gen service bezel and gen band. V726 roamer movement.

Amazing builds CC!! who is MY?!

JoeyB...I love a GMT! Lovely stuff ;)

Out of interest/learning, did the GMT crown size go from this 6mm to 5.3mm and then back to 6mm?

Thank you! According to the chart in this link, and what I've seen, the 6542 had the 6mm crown, and the 1675 went to the 5.3mm crown. I have the 5.3mm on my 1675 and it is a pain in the...fingers. :innocent:   

http://stefanomazzariol.blogspot.com/search/label/Rolex%20GMT-Master%20ref.%206542

That 6542 is gorgeous! You even got the serifs on the indices. And those lume plots! Have you considered offering that service to the board?

Spectacular! :tu:

Thank you! Yep, I like the serifs so they are on all the markers, and the overlay fonts. I'm too old for this stuff. After making an insert it takes about half an hour for my eyes to work right. When I lume it takes almost a full day! Trust me when I say, if I can do it, ANYONE can. With lume all you need to do is what kids in 1st grade learn to do. Stay in the lines! Easier said than done. I've used all sorts of things to lume with, oilers and toothpicks and an itsy-bitsy expensive paint brush that actually worked well, but the nib pen, like used for calligraphy, works best for me. Control, familiar pen grip, and good sized points available. For the inserts and the dial lume I use a water based acrylic 'Glow Paint', much like RolexAddict uses. It has the 'crusty' look we need. So when I go out of the lines, a wet Q-tip gives me a 'do-over'.