When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Like This Sub Insert Pearl?

tc670207

TC-16610-Insert-01_zps502b3555.jpg

I always recommend members to go get a gen 16610 insert for a reason, it is simply just beautiful!

Beautiful how? Our eyes and our brains conceive its beauty but we can not always translate that beauty into plain English. My interpretation of that beauty is a flat and matte insert plus a well polished pearl holder plus a shiny corundum pearl.

In my quest for the perfect Submariner 16610, the insert along with its pearl has always been a big challenge.

This very specific part is actually an assembly of the aluminum insert, the corundum pearl, and the pearl holder. There is luminescent applied carefully and evenly within the pearl holder so the pearl could "glow in the dark".

When I started the insert project in 2012, I thought the pearl holder is made of stainless steel. So I took the liberty being a partner of a local metal part manufacturer and made a batch of the pearl holder.

Those stainless steel pearl holders were on every Caddell vintage insert I shipped out along with TC Sub V6 as freebies.

This April, a member who bought a TC Sub V6 wrote me saying he has a theory: the gen pearl holder may be made from the same material as the KH 16610 dial indices. So I asked my friend to make me some samples to see if this theory is true.

I had to use my microscope since this is late in the night and I couldn't capture anything clearly with my Canon.

This is the stainless steel pearl holder on Caddell vintage insert.
TC-16610-Insert-02_zpsaf817c1c.jpg

This is the new pearl holder I just received.
TC-16610-Insert-03_zps5b7e966c.jpg

How do you like it, gentlemen?

TC

10/10/14

• Like 2

I think the Pearl is excellent . Difficult to judge the sheen via pics, but the fonts still need some work. The inside of the numbers are too square. Most won't notice the square corners, but the insert is about 1-2 steps away from being indistinguishable from gen without a loupe. Definitely a step forward from previous version.

eh. most people wont be able to tell if your insert is gen or TC or ebay.

i think the old TC inserts were pretty good. 

gen insert is worth having if youre completely OCD like me though.

also depends on how much youre paying.

ive seen people pay $250 bucks for a gen insert. 

crazy talk.