When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second watch purchase? Paul Newman Daytona

HaydenM

Hi all, 

I have just finished my first build (a rolex 1016) and I was looking at what to get into for my second watch. I have always liked rolex daytonas but I had always read that they had horrible timebomb movement but recently I was reading and came across some vintage daytonas that really caught my eye. 

1bb953cb3fc46d82f5f8bbf3d4dbfc5aimage800
c78e883b97cda71e052df7886e09bf9eimage800

I am just wondering if anybody has any experience with these watches and how accurate they are, the current flaw that I have already noticed is that even though the 6 o'clock dial is faux it is far too low in these models.

I was also wondering how the "Venus 75" (SN-19?) movement inside these watches is as far as reliability / ability to use the chronograph etc.

Thank you all 

HaydenM

The vintage Daytona is OK with the 7750 movement or with the Venus copy. You've already found the major flaw with the Venus copy, and the 7750 version will have a much thicker case than gen but better subdial spacing. They all have flaws, so it's just a matter of which ones you find least offensive. No one can answer that one for you.

There are a lot of threads about the vintage Daytona, so you'll have a lot of reading to do to figure out what direction you want to go.

Off the top of my head, I know Sead recently came to market with a pretty good one, and there is a member over on RG (watchguyusa1) who is starting to build a project using an SG2903 movement. If you want to look for a M2M sale, look for one of the Spinmaster builds, or full blown frankens using a v72 movement come up from time to time if you have the budget.

In my opinion the ST19 is a nice and reliable movement, it feels nice to wind (unlike many 7750s), chrono is reliable for the most part, so I would take it over the 7750. However I do wish they moved that @6 pin on these at the factory. As was said perfectly already, you will always have to live with a flaw on these so, at a relatively low price I think they are a fair watch.

I wouldn't spend $250 to a ST19 one with a lot of flaws.

I'd rather waiting for a DW one on the sales thread up to $500. Even if the A7750 is less reliable than the ST19, the overall product is much much nicer and dials are more beautifull especially on the Paul Newman ones.

Few upgrades on a DW and you'll have a watch you'll be in love with.

My 2cts

On M2M deals recently,  that's what DW's worth on average. 

They beat the ST19 ones on every points, have all counters working.

Reliability of the A7750 can be argued but if you're able to take the reversing gears out that would increase the movement durability.

IMHO there is no comparison at all, if you're seeking for the best price/accuracy ratio go for DWs.

Then your next step would be a Valjoux 72 build but the range here starts at $3k...

Edited by davids100

David Wong.

He was making reps for a while and I guess he scammed a bunch of folks or somethin.. I don't know the full story but I know he's not trusted for whatevs reason.

That eBay deal is pretty damn good even just for the cases and movements. Just toss some branded dials on there and you're sitting on a couple grand worth of Daytona reps.

Wish I knew my way around a VJ7750

That eBay deal will come with sterile cases for sure and sterile crowns as well.

His last batches  are coming without any engraving, neither on the case or caseback and crowns are sterile ones with a thread that is not compatible with other rep vendor's crown.

I paid myself the scam recently dealing with him.

Also, look at the dials on his watches on eBay, not finished yet, I bet he will ship it like so.

I wouldn't order that. Better buying already assembled one to a member here that can send to you precise pics and informations regarding his watch.

That eBay deal will come with sterile cases for sure and sterile crowns as well.

His last batches are coming without any engraving, neither on the case or caseback and crowns are sterile ones with a thread that is not compatible with other rep vendor's crown.

I paid myself the scam recently dealing with him.

Also, look at the dials on his watches on eBay, not finished yet, I bet he will ship it like so.

I wouldn't order that. Better buying already assembled one to a member here that can send to you precise pics and informations regarding his watch.

I agree completely. I have a Gold DW Daytona for sale on the sales forum. The guy who sold it to me PM'ed me yesterday to tell me he could get one just like mine from DW for 450.00 USD (I paid him 650!!) I told him, go for it, and when you send him your 450 by WU and you get nothing back or and empty box or a half done sterile dial watch, you will get what you deserve. He offered to buy mine back for 450 by the way. I wouldn't trust DW as far as I could throw him, which I assure you wouldn't be far!

Dumb question that I should know the answer to, but are we saying the 7750 will take a gen spec dial? i.e. sub dial spacing the same?

You'll have an issue with the counters holes placement, even if you cut the feet (btw they are not in the same location on V72 and V7750) you couldn't install it anyway.

But, you could place a V72 dial on an ST19 with a bit of modding on hour chrono counter hand pivot. Lot of work and high skills required

You'll have an issue with the counters holes placement, even if you cut the feet (btw they are not in the same location on V72 and V7750) you couldn't install it anyway.

But, you could place a V72 dial on an ST19 with a bit of modding on hour chrono counter hand pivot. Lot of work and high skills required

Thank god I'm not going mad... I thought so, for some reason when reading this thread I thought it was being said that the 7750 would accept a better dial. :-)