When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 7835 fix

dieselpower

My wife is quite adept at breaking things. She's had plenty of practise and can definitely class herself as an expert in the field. He latest triumph is the gen 7835 bracelet I bought her and fitted to her gen 1952 semi-bubbleback. Anyway here is a photo of her handywork:

post-2563-0-74139000-1413792415_thumb.jp

It's a 19mm by the way. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by dieselpower

Can't you just take the broken link out? It's the third from the end link right? It appears you would have enough length (move the clasp pin further out). The issue is that the there will be a noticeable step as the 2nd to 4th links will be quite different sizes next to each other. however it won't notice that much and should get you out of trouble until you can find another 3rd link second hand. No point repairing it for 200$ as you can pick these up for around 250.

Well I have done it many times and have not had one snap on me. BUT I guess if one has, then another one could. However, you won't be in a worse position. When opening up the link (the 2nd one from the end), slip a razor blade in between the folded ends and the lift slightly. Once slightly lifted use a thicker blade to push the "flap" up. Bear in mind this does NOT need to be opened all up to 90 degrees, a bit less than 45 degrees will do it (or there abouts). Basically don't bend the fold up further than you have to. Ease out the bar of the broken link, and then ease in the bar of the next good link. Then get something flat and wide to push the link fold back down again.

If it's a gen band they often wear grooves in the apex of the middle link curves, and if worn enough, can break with opening and closing the bend. I've done it lots of times and usually the link isn't even deformed when I'm done.

Exactly my thinking, the band was well worn and a fold on a link failed where it was mostly worn through.

Compare the link gaps in your band to those on the 9315 that lives on my SD. Several of my links have actually broken from the wear in the folds, so the other bad ones were replaced. Yours look to be nearly as loose/worn as mine.

e4usy9yh.jpg

u9u9uda7.jpg

Years ago, I wore a Sub every day for several years, I was running my family's farming operation, so I was in dust, grease, diesel fuel, cow shit, you name it, that watch got covered in it. I finally had to send it to Rolex through my local Rolex AD. This watchmaker told me that mine was the most beat up Rolex he had ever seen come through their store. Actually the reason I sent it ism the crystal was so scratcheds  and scuffed that You could almost not tell the time. When I got it back they had changed the bracelet. I questioned him as to why they changed a "Perfectly good" bracelet. He told me that the pins were so worn from all the dust and grease acting like grinding compound that most of them were almost completely worn through. He told me it was a miracle that the bracelet had stayed intact as long as it had. So if you are careful, they last a long time, if you aren't they wear out pretty fast. Doubt that Mrs. Diesel subjects hers to the sort of destructive elements I did with mine, but a little dirt and grit will sure speed up the wear.