When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer 1016 Dial gem?

blue.

It is a long lasting issue with those over simplified Explorer dials.

Prices are insane for genuine used/ old stock service dials.

Aftermarket options are pretty good by now but not that close to the old service dials and still a tell for those who know where to look.

And those gen dials at the upper price range tend to rest for a long time on the sales corner (Bay or elsewhere).

Their extremely steep price is not being paid! That is for sure.

But then some "gems" tend to pop up every now and then at a "reasonable price".

Used genuine dials at the mid price range meaning 600-700 $.

Now is one of those moments. We are talking about this tritium SINGER dial.

Though, I seem to be a bit sceptical about some details! Meaning this dial might be a quite good redial?

Let´s see if someone else would notice them?

• Like 1

Definitely a redial:  Look at how crooked all the text is.  I should also note that I don't think I've ever seen a Singer 1016 dial before. 

I'll take a closer look when I get home, but don't "sofort-kaufen" unless you're willing to go for something less than genuine.

Ihooq, thank you for the comments!

Definitely all text is quite off (crooked), unequal. Even the 6 & 9 numbers are off.

The end parts of the numbers do not end horizontal but with some strange angle.

I have curiously browsed the market offers on the bay to see what new has popped and found the upper shared.

No intention to buy any of the offers on the bay.

Though gen dials do pop on the bay every now and then for bidding and can be snapped at a price lower than that which we see on the dials that never sell.

Edited by blue.

What we're seeing now with these asking prices of $1500-2000 is a case of extreme seller optimism.  On VRM and on open bidding, I reckon most service dials would struggle to clear $700. 

Of course, all it takes is for one guy to click on the Buy-It-Now button for all prices to skyrocket...

Looked at the dial again, and the text/spacing/coronet/&c. don't correspond with any of the genuine 1016 dials I've seen before.  Let me also say again that I've only ever seen 1016 dials with the imprints of Stern, Lemrich, or Rolex itself.  I'd take that "Singer" with a grain of salt.

• 1 month later...

Now that's some strange things I had encountered:

"Vintage watchmaker's" 1016 refinished dial offer and some other very prominent person offering such service are both the same, but their dial is pretty much nowhere else available you thought? Me too ... accuracy on the text etc is another topic.

Look again on the upper link to the bay!

The seller has re listed the item and describes it as 100% original!

Here is the comparison

uyl21Gv.png

Vintage watchmaker (you know who I mean). Well described as refinished, better SINGER engraving on the dial base, but still a tell those SINGER stamps on such dials.

and the bay offer

0D97pbW.png

1:1 the same, quite off in the text spacing and numerals ...