When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My noob question of the week....Rivet Bracelet Adjustment

dbane883

I've never been a huge fan of the tuna can folded bracelets as I would rather have my watches wear comfortably (with an oyster bracelet or leather).  

But when it comes to the 7206 for example, how are the links removed and added? I would think the answer if fairly obvious.  I gather that one has to carefully pry the metal fold up and pull it apart?   Then fold it back in place?  If so, is it not difficult to fold it back precisely in the same position due to the "elasticity" of the metal.  Is there a preferred technique for this?

Also, over time, and through repetitive bracelet adjustment changes, wouldn't some of the links suffer from metal fatigue and break away?

Just curious.

ROLEX_7206_1_2.jpg

Interesting.. so to remove a link, one would have to remove two pins to get the link out.. then reuse the same pin once the bracelet is shortened?  What tool is required to extract the rivet?   I am picturing a needle-nose vice-grip, but that cannot be right :).

Not sure, I have a feeling that once you've managed to remove a 30-40 year old pin with a pair of grips etc it may result in a destroyed tube etc. Cousins here in the UK supply all widths as complete sets.

The answer to all of those questions is yes. The way to remove a link is to lift up a fold with a scalpel blade, then push a case opened (or flat blade) under the metal and push upwards to about 30-40 degrees and slip out the link. To put it back get a small piece of wood or something else flat and push it back down again. In most cases the join is pretty good but it is possible to close the gap slightly by putting the link on its end and tapping with a nylon watchmakers hammer.