When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$6k to spend, what to buy?

dieselpower

Hello esteemed watch freaks.

A good friend of mine is in the market for a new watch. He has been down the rep road with a V72 powered 6263 and he got hacked off with it and broke it down and sold the parts. He has vowed never to own a rep again. I think he is wrong but that's for another debate. Anyway, he's going to shell out $6k (maybe a bit more) and he needs guidance so I thought I'd ask anybody who could be bothered to put their 2 cents in. So - what would you go for?

Cheers.

Id say do what I did, buy a second hand sub LV. Never regretted it. Stands out from ordinary subs, can we worn at a dress up even or with casual. Unique enough to be a conversation piece (50th anniversary story) and since I've bought mine, the price has shot up!

• Like 1

Personally I think the best deal on the market is a used UTS...These are every bit as good as a pam and have a great story, design, movt but for some reason go for about 1500 (usd) used. For business might not fit easy under a suit, but I would think the adventure is just enough to get conversations started...at least that's how I put it to a business friend of mine. I've even seen the super custom ones with a Benzinger movt go for around 3.

In no particular order, I'd say he look at the following:

mf matte dial 5513

1675 GMT

16600 SeaDweller

Pre-Moon Speedmaster

I like this list but would add any explorers from the 50's to current. And a 11613.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

While all the pre-owned Rolex options mentioned would be good, I'd be looking at others, especially if he's not "brand" phobic.

For example, I love the Glashutte Original Senator Chronograph for $6k. Sporty due to being a chronograph, but understated enough to wear as a dress watch.

id get a nice 16800 

$_57.JPG

or a 16660. they can sometimes be gotten in the 6k range.

nice vintage look without going too vintage.

sapphire crystal instead of the plexi that normally comes with the old matte dials.

very collectable and they hold their value pretty well

quite a few available on the bay right now with providence and in the price range. 

Except for new/used Rolex I´m totally out of the gen-market, specially in that price-bracket. Everything else is a money-pit, just gets monotonous after 10 years, takes an eternity to re-sell, even at a huge loss, and anything related with service does cost a small fortune too. (Well, there are still some interesting sub-$1.000 ones)

I am with Nightwatch except I will not consider new rolex.

With all the swiss brands cutting off parts and forcing owners to 'factory service', I have lost interest in modern watches.

I have never in my life seen a $6000 watch I would want to get stuck with. To me a $6000 watch is a watch that someone else will pay $7000 for the day after I buy it.

I do however have one $5000 watch (at today's insane prices)...a 1675 GMT Master that I paid $825 for.  

If it was me, I would decide on what watch I wanted, then shop for the best price.

Otherwise you might pay $6000 for a $2000 watch.   :pimp:

• 1 month later...