When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Restoring a leather strap.

robpatte

Hey Everyone

I recently bought a lovely gen Monaco (Calibre 6, non-chrono, black face, seconds at 6) and I love it. Problem is the guy who owned it previously didn't care for it the way it should have been cared for. He obviously thought that a lovely crocodile strap should be worn in the shower, gone swimming with and never fed. The result is that it has dulled significantly. Not everywhere, just patchy dull. I'd like to restore the original leather sheen, but I have a feeling that no amount of Beeswax is gonna bring back the lustre, it looks like patches of very matt leather. I had thought of resealing it with something like Eco-Flo Satin Sheen or Super Sheen. 

Anyone have any experience of dealing with a seriously dulled strap, or any experience of the above products?

Rob

Seal fat. You put it on the strap (take it out from the watch), put a good layer on it, then put the strap in a warm place (30°C up to 40) and let the fat to melt and being absorbed by the leather. It's perfect for the leather. Avoid products based on silicone.

Cheers for the advice guys, all useful. On closer inspection it looks like those matt areas are where the leather has been slightly scuffed through wear. I've a feeling that no amount of oil, wax, creme is gonna bring this back to the original shine. I've had two evenings of beeswax application in the hope of reducing the matt nature of the scuffs, and although the unscuffed areas are now beautiful and back to their shiny best, the matt areas remain stubbornly matt.

Any ideas on de-scuffing? :-)

Edited by robpatte

I have same problem. Bought a strap on eBay, seller wanted to clean it one last time with some shoe polish and f'ed it up for that matt look. Tried all stuff, vinegar first to clean that stuff, then some oils, waxes, saphir reptan - non of them helped. After few days on google- found one last solution that might work or screw up the strap finally- giving a coat of acrylic lacquer used for diecast hobby stuff. Although haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Prancuzas

I have same problem. Bought a strap on eBay, seller wanted to clean it one last time with some shoe polish and f'ed it up for that matt look. Tried all stuff, vinegar first to clean that stuff, then some oils, waxes, saphir reptan - non of them helped. After few days on google- found one last solution that might work or screw up the strap finally- giving a coat of acrylic lacquer used for diecast hobby stuff. Although haven't tried it yet.

Yeah P, I think that Super Shene is a type of acrylic lacquer. I've read a few online reviews and the trick seems to be adding it sparingly with a damp sponge, letting it dry, then buffing the shine back. Apply too much and the leather will become stiff and crack, ruining the strap completely. I'm gonna take the plunge today, it's available on amazon for a £10. Once i've received it, I'll do some before and after pix.

Yeah P, I think that Super Shene is a type of acrylic lacquer. I've read a few online reviews and the trick seems to be adding it sparingly with a damp sponge, letting it dry, then buffing the shine back. Apply too much and the leather will become stiff and crack, ruining the strap completely. I'm gonna take the plunge today, it's available on amazon for a £10. Once i've received it, I'll do some before and after pix.

Great, thanks, let me know and best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my Super Shene bottle on Friday. In my impatience to repair my strap, I forgot to take the before pictures. Dumb!

But boy, what a result!!! I couldn't have hoped for a better one. The strap is genuinely back to it's best. I cannot even see the worn areas any more and I cannot recommend Super Shene highly enough.

I was actually considering getting a croc-effect strap as a replacement, would have cost me £20-40, so glad I didn't now.

I'll take some after shots today, nothing to compare with because I didnt do the 'before' shots, but trust me, the strap was pretty scuffed and worn.

The 'after' pic

Sorry about not including a before pic, I was too impatient to get started. The area which has the highlight was completely matt, and overall the strap looked really old and tired. I was worried before I started that I was gonna end up with either a too shiny result, or it just wasnt gonna make any difference at all. The bottle recommended applying with a damp sponge or cloth, but I used a paint brush. It dries pretty quickly (about 5mins) so you need to be careful not to let it pool, otherwise you won't get a smooth finish (I did this in a tiny area but was able to rescue it beforre it completely dried).

As you can see from the picture, the strap is now back to it's best.

R

post-65499-0-99232900-1416824316_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...