When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The hunt for the perfect dress watch - Rolex 116234

childishthing

Guys this is exactly what I'm looking for. After seeing it on Hodinkee's Youtube channel; one of their "A week on the wrist" videos - I was instantly in love. I've never been turned on by the Datejust until recently, but I think it was because of the older looking jubilee bracelet. This newer version is perfect. 36mm case, stainless steel/white gold, silver dial, stick markers, traditional date window... I want one.

I've gone to a few vendors websites, but only have been able to find similar watches... this exact watch seems to be difficult to find.

Q: Is there a TD that carries these?

Q: If not, is my only option to "franken" one myself from a similar rep? ( or purchase a gen, or course ;) )

Rolex_DateJust_396.jpg

Thank you for taking the time :)

Edited by childishthing

Yes mymanmatt would be a great choice for a build like this. This specific gen dial is somewhat hard to come buy for a reasonable price though. I have been looking to change out my champagne dial for this dial on my tt DJ. Here is a pic of my 116233 franken built by Matt. I used a jub but you could go with an oyster instead.

33786a52168f1d568898b9849e5c3b06.jpg

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

• Like 1

Yes mymanmatt would be a great choice for a build like this. This specific gen dial is somewhat hard to come buy for a reasonable price though. I have been looking to change out my champagne dial for this dial on my tt DJ. Here is a pic of my 116233 franken built by Matt. I used a jub but you could go with an oyster instead.

33786a52168f1d568898b9849e5c3b06.jpg

Very nice watch, I would love to see more pictures of it.

Jeez drop you know i love that DJ how is the gold Holding up Any wear ??

Thank you. It wears excellent. Dial, bezel, crystal and crown are genuine so no worry there. Matt sources these bracelets and they are very well made. I have no fear to wash or polish if needed. Could wear daily I believe and would last a long time. If I remember the end links are solid gold and the rest is wrapped. One of my best friends has a new gen exactly like this and the comparison is spot on. He was not happy to find out what I paid versus what he paid. Here are some more pics:

6b8e000ec0030c5c168939f799209e28.jpg595af34ed29622b557bd29d0e720ed10.jpg07d50f90d9aa78fef0636f229732d62d.jpg2623fa96c0d7dbed66ab4c7ed4d1ae93.jpg0bd29ce57046f0474a6ed7c8c081b594.jpg

She doesn't get as much wrist time these days as I have been bitten by the vintage bug...

• 3 years later...