When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytonas, which can you recommend?

Champagnesky

Hi! Ive been looking for a decent vintage Daytona on the M2M sales forums and its realy hard to find one, so im considering getting one from a TD. Now that DW had dissapeared, which one would you guys recommend as a worthy alternative?

I've been thinking the same thing, Phong, Yuki etc are too expensive, DW unreliable so am thinking of modding a cartel daytona, will follow this thread with interest..

DWs ebay account is now dormant I think. I few weeks ago his last remaining listings were removed.

It would also appear from his 5 NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS IN THE LAST MONTH that whatever he was selling on ebay (before it was all taken down) was not delivered. So even if anything appears it might not be worth the pain of getting involved as for sometime DW has been widely considered a BAD EGG and reading the negative feedback should confirm that for you.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/valjouxshop

Anyone who deals with DW now deserves just what he gets!! He has proven time and time again that he is totally unreliable and dishonest. I'm sure Ebay suspended his store after the 5 negative feedbacks in a row in the last month.

To the OP, DW Daytonas come up for sale here and on the other rep sales forums from time to time, just be patient, you will find one. 

• Like 1

I just don't get it about DW. Sometimes he disappears and then comes back a few weeks ago. Bought a set of hands from him ten days ago and got them delivered. He gave me several spare parts for free so I really don't understand the way he works... But to be true, all my deals with him were great for the moment.

I just don't get it about DW. Sometimes he disappears and then comes back a few weeks ago. Bought a set of hands from him ten days ago and got them delivered. He gave me several spare parts for free so I really don't understand the way he works... But to be true, all my deals with him were great for the moment.

Lots of folks have had problems with him though, some seem to get on really good with him, but others have real issues. Back when he was taking PayPal, I would take a chance, and I have gotten some good stuff from him, but last year when he started getting more and more erratic and got his PayPal account suspended, I refused to go through with a deal for a Daytona 6263. Just too much risk sending money to someone like that via WU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there nothing to be said for the cartel Daytonas then?

I think in general they are OK, but they fall over when put "under the microscope" If you are not going to do that then they are fine. What do we mean by "under the microscope"? well, the first thing is the position of the subdial at 6. It is of course fixed (faux) and does not move but worse still it is in the wrong position (too low) for no good reason at all. Next are the dials, ROLEX font is off, serifs on markers and "daytona" are missing, lume dots are very slightly incorrect, too far away from the minute track, the coronet is slightly the wrong shape. Hands are slightly too wide, we could go on BUT we are talking minor things here, things that nobody other than fanatics will be concerned about. For better accuracy, i.e. better side by side accuracy with a gen, you will need after market parts (of which there are not many options, so very often you have to go gen) which add up to a lot of money and "pain" real quickly.

So the answer is IT DEPENDS, on just how accurate you need your rep to be. My opinion is get a Cartel if you need to feed your desire for a vintage Daytona, wear it, no worries.  Then save up and start hoarding parts ! :-)

My experience with the ST19 has been good with Alphas but the sub dial position at 6 does not matter much on an Alpha.

As for an ST19 in a Daytona type watch...the sub dial at 6 being too low can be a small distraction.

Few chronograph owners ever need an hour register because most timing is for a shorter duration. Freezing the 12 hour hand in place and not having an hour register is one less thing to go wrong.

Very few in the general population can tell a genuine vintage Daytona from a $125 Alpha and most of them never even heard of a Daytona...unless they watched "Stalker: Love is a Battlefield" last week.

Rolex freaks will assume all vintage Daytonas seen in the wild are fake anyway.

Chronograph rules:

Mechanical chronographs are usually Ok...until you push a button.

Quartz chronographs are much easier to live with.

Chronographs can not stop time

...they can't even slow it down

...because time marches on.    :pimp:

Thanks guys, my plan was to buy a handwound cartel daytona and mod it as and when funds allow (a new dial and hands would be my most pressing concerns) as much as I admire the amazing daytona builds I've seen here and elsewhere I'm not comfortable spending thousands on what would still be a rep at the end of the day.

..and I am sure you will enjoy it... but here in lies the problem... modding a cartel rep is limited unless you mod the position of the pin at 6 otherwise you will just not find a better dial that fits. I suspect that doing so is not overly hard but it is not something everyone would be willing to undertake. You could replace with another rep dial (if you can find one) some are better than others but they are hard to find on their own. But if you move the pin at 6 there are plenty of modding options for new dials although after market daytona dials of any accuracy are fairly expensive.

Thanks for the info, I've been reading up on that mod and I'm happy to have a go as it dosen't seem too complicated. As for dial options I'll get one from yuki or suchlike which would be accurate enough for me and possibly fit a gen coronet on the dial, I'm happy to spent a few hundred on mods just not thousands :)