When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 16800 Late Transitional Franken - Would appreciate some guidance

jigelow

Well, since there doesn't seem to be a ST3135 in sight, I'm ordering a TC case and bezel set and shipping to jmb to have it drilled. I'd like this completed by Christmas, but it'll be cutting it close with shipping times and dependent upon how much work jmb has in front of mine. I have all my tools laid out, my Clark odds and ends (stem, gasket, etc) will be here tomorrow, and my y3135, dial, hands, crystal, crown, and tube just sort all lonely in their cases on the desk in the office. Soon, my friends.

I still have a modern font gen 3135 DW if you require. FS next door where I mainly reside.

Again, if I ever part out the 16800, you'll be the first to notify of the DW's availability.

Cheers

P.

I still have a modern font gen 3135 DW if you require. FS next door where I mainly reside.

Again, if I ever part out the 16800, you'll be the first to notify of the DW's availability.

Cheers

P.

Cheers

P.

Cheers

P.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I've got a modern DW coming from Ephry.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this. I'm sure I'll have more question before I'm through, but the willingness to help here has been awesome.

I don't really get why you would want to build a 16800 model without a matte dial? it just looks like a 16610 with the white surrounds....aside from the T<25 on the bottom....

boggles me

+1

The BEST thing about a 16800 is the mix of vintage and modern.  

You have the best of both worlds.  

Vintage matte dial + higher beat Movement + Sapphire Crystal

Last Vintage Dial sub

First White Gold Dial sub

First sapphire crystal sub

:shrug:

It'll be an early 16610 when I'm done based on case and movement.

I like the gloss gone matte dials with wg surround and love aged tritium. It's just the way the build went. To each their own, I suppose. If I was going vintage dial, I'd do a 1680, which I still may start at some point.

+1

The BEST thing about a 16800 is the mix of vintage and modern.

You have the best of both worlds.

Vintage matte dial + higher beat Movement + Sapphire Crystal

Last Vintage Dial sub

First White Gold Dial sub

First sapphire crystal sub

Don't forget increased depth rating @300m ;)

OP I completely understand. It's just personal taste.

Unfortunately for me it looks like I'll sell my 16800 :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well only an hour in to my first bit of assembly and it looks like I've run in to my first challenge. The quick change date doesn't seem to engage properly. It will only turn the date like 75% of the way to the next one and then can't grab on to continue changing. Same issue when I set time and go past midnight. It seems like the date disc may not be in properly, but I've checked, rechecked, pulled it off, and put it on again. Its under all three retainers the spring loaded holder is in and the screw dealy is secured. Any ideas?

This is without the dial on. There would be no spacers as these are all gen parts.

I reseated the date disc, but didn't turn the swivel retainer and it seems to work fine. Not sure why the swivel retainer would be putting pressure on it or throwing it out of alignment. I'm going to have to investigate later when I have time. Has anyone else run in to this before?

This is without the dial on. There would be no spacers as these are all gen parts.

I reseated the date disc, but didn't turn the swivel retainer and it seems to work fine. Not sure why the swivel retainer would be putting pressure on it or throwing it out of alignment. I'm going to have to investigate later when I have time. Has anyone else run in to this before?

Jigelow

Is that on yuki, I didn't read the whole thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loose the screw holding the date changing wheel (just a bit) and tested

If that's doesn't work you have to play with date disc, some of them needs sanding

My phone is going to die

Will get back to check later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give this a shot.

That is, if I can find that damn toggle retainer. The thing popped off and has now disappeared. Anyone have a spare or know where to get one in the event I can't find it?