When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bad AR glow on GMT and Explorer

joe tang

post-61870-0-54798600-1415728536_thumb.p

I bought an expensive explorer 2 pro-hunter and a black and blue GMT recently from a TD that had AR on the cyclops.

Both watches produce a very noticeable blue glow in any light in the date window.

Looks bad. The TD says it is normal to the current  gen products.

I went to an AD and looked at similar models and they don't show this.  

IT's quite a "tell" as in dead giveaway.

Has any else seen this with recent product?

Hi and welcome

1. if the TD says so, it must be true.....mybe try looking from another angle :g:

2. fact: the ar on the cyclops-gen is single-sided

3. with the pro-hunter stealth Explorer You grabbed 1 of 100 worldwide, it´s a (very) limited edition, the chances of running into a gen-owner during Your lifetime are nil

4. the lettering and the GMT-hand on the gen are bright glowing orange, on the rep they are "dull" and that is more of a tell, anyway: who has a gen to compare? If it´s a "must" - which it isn´t - You can always have a modder double-ar the cyclops;

Don´t worry, focus on a good power reserve, smooth running rotor, bright, long-lasting lume, triangle looks well-aligned and mainly: enjoy Your watch :)

It looks hefty, stealth and i love GMT´s. Looking forward to more pictures just to enjoy them, nice watch.

and gen sub from a blog to watch

Rolex-Submariner-Watch-Steel-42.jpg

Edited by Nightwatch

Gens don't have ar coating on the cyclop. They coat the underside of the main crystal right below the cyclop. That's how they get the nice black hole effect from angles.

You can see if it will take a gen crystal and swap it out or just have the entire crystal AR coated. I know the gens don't have that but I gotta say, it looks pretty good.

I've been considering doing the same for my TC and DJII.

If you're looking for all the tells on a rep, you're gonna have a bad time. You'll find a new one every day. I'd suggest just enjoying it. Nobody else will ever notice or care. If they care enough to know that your AR is wrong, they would already know that the hands are stacked wrong and the hands are flap. Not to mention the gaping pinion hole on the second hand.

Lots of tells on GMT rolexes. If AR is the only one you notice then count your lucky stars and enjoy it.

So much wrong info flying about!

Gen does have a blue tint in the background image reflection but not as severe as some poorer reps like yours.

Also the gen has double sided ar. On a genuine crystal it is coated both sides using a mask then a standard cyclops is bonded on.

• 2 years later...