When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The longevity of the replicas

qwer81

Hello guys, I would like to have some information about the longevity of these replicas. In particular, about the submariner sold by TC. I did a search, but I didn't find discussions about it.

These watches, generally, have a long life or, after tot. time, give problems?

Some testimony?

I have my Rolex TC Sub for almost a year and she is running like a champ. I don't wear her daily but maybe once a week ;)

Thanks! Good news!

A question: what about the "charge"? I have to wind the clock manually by turning the crown? If yes, how often do I have to do this?

I have much less experience than some other members but I bought a rep 16613 (two tone submariner) back in 2004 with an Swiss Eta 2836 and it still runs great. I did have to replace the crown and tube a while back. But it basically ran trouble free for 10 years while never being serviced. I have a TC V6 but only had it since April. I would guess it will last for many years. Initially I had a bad movement but TC replaced it and the new movement works great and I am fairly confident this watch will last for many years.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

• Like 1

If you buy a good quality watch with a good movement and have it serviced, it should last indefinetly, similar to the gen. However, if you buy at the lower end and do not service don't expect too much.

My understanding of a TC Sub is that it definelty fits the first category above and so long as you look after it and have a service every year or two it will provide many years of good quality service.

AJ

• Like 1

In my experience, most of the trouble with replicas is with screw down crowns/case tubes and movements in general. It seems most replica case tubes and crowns are not up to everyday wear of winding/setting and many movements are not in very good condition to begin with.

TC watches are fine as for case, dial, tube/crown, bracelet etc but they have Asian Eta clones and there are no replacement parts except genuine Eta if they will fit. A genuine swiss Eta can be installed in a TC watch if needed and you are set for years as long as the swiss Eta is in good condition. BK watches have a good reputation too and I believe they come with swiss Etas.

I would guess that a TC, BK and quite a few others will go 20 or 25 years with good care and proper service.

My oldest running watch is a Waltham pocket watch made in 1892 and my oldest running replica is a 'DJ' with an Eta 2846 that I got in the mid 1980s for $75 from a USA Today ad.

Something else to consider...since genuine oem brands have cut most of the parts off to non AD shops (with rules not to sell parts but only install them on the customer's watch at Highway Robbery prices), you are really in much worse shape with a genuine watch needing a crown, crystal etc after the warranty has expired than a replica with the same ailment.

Examples:

I have two genuine steel TAG Heuer F1 (WA1211, WA1411) with steel bracelets and both need new black plastic bezels. Since T/H is an infamous 'No Parts For You!' company in the USA, just one bezel would cost more than I paid for both watches together and new examples are over $100 each on eBay. It's crazy, $100+ for what should be a $20 part at full retail.

Catch 22...T/H will not sell the bezel without an 'inspection' leading to a $400 'overhaul' of a $50 watch. Insanity.

Meanwhile another guy is selling generic sapphire crystals for them for $43, MG for $22 and bracelet 'cotter pins' at 10 for $25.

The MG crystals cost $2 each, sapphire $15 each, and the pins are $3 for 10. 

My advice...buy a TC and don't look back.   :pimp:

• Like 2

According to me once you get a good rep with a good movement its quality is not dissimilar from that of an average piece from (nowadays) lesser brands such as Movado or Tissot.

I expect my franken with its brand new ETA 2824-2 to run flawlessly as any other well constructed watch will do. Of course your mileage may vary but, unless your rep is a dirty 21j assembled at the crappiest chinese workshop you should be good to go for a long time.

That being said TC does not run a chinese sweatshop and he is not your average watchmaker either. You will get nothing but the best from him. I would go so far as to say that the quality of his builds with their hand-picked dials, cases and movements is (much) superior to that of some pieces from the a.m. mentioned (nowadays) lesser brands.

**Disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated to TC and have (alas!) not been paid in TC Submariners to endorse TC and/or TC's products. ;)

• Like 1

They should last indefinitely as long at the owner takes care of em.

Esp watches with good clones or etas. A service every few years and it could outlast you.

Quartz watches will outlive you most likely.

The issues as someone mentioned are the quality of cosmetic parts. Crowns, tubes, bezels..etc wears out. Ones built to get spec are easy to find parts for so that's a big factor in which reps I buy. This keeps my collection pretty small. Lol

I think this is pretty much wrapped up by get a good movement from a good rep maker and you should be fine, make sure it's all clean and if you want to, keep it serviced.

I've had two reps so far, one the movement died within a month and a bit, it's now dead and in my parts bin.
The other I built myself and it's running like a dream.

Inconsistency and risk  can certainly be the name of the game

same movement as entry-mid level swiss made brands. i imagine they could last 50+ years with proper service intervals. still got some reps going on 5 years now, no problems as daily wearers. TCs watches probably have better assembly yet compared with the chinese factory mass prodcued stuff, so there shouldnt be much worry about how well his pieces will age

I have a Tissot I received for my 18th birthday ... That was 16 years ago. I've had it cleaned and serviced 2x ($150) and it's running an ETA 2824 movement, which is similar to what you find in a lot of rep's these days... that should give you some idea of longevity, it's off by a few seconds daily, at the most.

Hi, all that´s been said plus these are automatic watches so there really is no point in winding them at all, so no wear on the gears and stem. As soon as You pick them up they should start running and after just some hours wear have a power reserve good for more than 24 hours.

I have a 21j rep red submariner 8 years old and still running fine , It has been oiled twice by me and the movement is unmarked so I assume it's a very cheap , When I say oiled I don't mean a full strip down , Just the basics.

Look after your watch and it should be fine.

Col

Why wouldn't a high end rep with a good movement( ETA or equivalent) last as long as a mid range genuine watch? All watches require periodic service. That is the lifeblood of a watch, properly serviced and correctly oiled. The other weak points of all watches, but reps especially is the crown/ tube, the rep tubes are probably made of and inferior, softer grade of steel, and are more prone to stripping.. With most reps, the crown gets stripped, usually because the owner isn't careful about how he screws the crown on the tube. With Rolex reps and quite a few others, that is remedied by a genuine or high end aftermarket crown/tube and care when setting and screwing the crown back down.the crystal and the gaskets/ seals are another problem . Over time they age, crack, dry out and the water resistance is compromised. That's why a complete service at a Rolex AD includes a new crown/tube, Crystal, seals and gaskets. They know from experience that these are the weak points, and need attention periodically.

Good movement, regular service and care with any watch is the key to longevity. There is no reason a well maintained high end rep shouldn't last for decades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk