When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cartel 5513 rehaut width

jackflash

This has been bugging me. Is the rehaut width on the Cartel 5513 too wide, or is it the curvature of the T19 Clark crystal that makes it appear so? I tend to think it is, as a gen spec Singer dial sits nicely within the case, and the Clark T19 crystal fits snugly too. Would reducing the height of the Clark crystal help reduce this effect? Anyone done this mod?

02217fd6ec45dc5ecf7ac3deb1827aea.jpg

With the original T39-like Cartel crystal the rehaut doesn't appear as wide. However, the curvature of the crystal does distort the dial. I do also prefer the Clark T19 profile, so I might try shaving a little off the height to see if that improves the situation.

If you shorten the rehaut, it will be wider.

If you shorten the rehaut, it will be wider.

Good point. I guess you mean the crystal. Could well be that the rehaut optically increases when the crystal is shortened. I may give the Sternkreuz T19 crystal a go, it should have less curvature. Either that or find a better case;)

Jack, I am pretty sure I ran across a post about modding the inside of the rehaut to thin it out some. I know on the research I did for a cartel cased 6542 that was the case. The rehaut on those is wok like and some builders sanded down the inside to flatten it out and reduce the profile. Have not done it personally.....yet.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Jack, I am pretty sure I ran across a post about modding the inside of the rehaut to thin it out some. I know on the research I did for a cartel cased 6542 that was the case. The rehaut on those is wok like and some builders sanded down the inside to flatten it out and reduce the profile. Have not done it personally.....yet.

Thanks. I may give the inner diameter of the rehaut a go if it doesn't work out with the crystal options. However, that will be in Microns as the Singer dial is seated nicely.

I looked at some cases...

The op crystal neck looks maybe a hair wider than my MBK, two hairs wider than my Yuki and about three hairs wider than my 'Paul' cartel watch cases. In reality, not enough difference by eyeball to matter.

They tend to all be pretty much the same when made close to oem spec because of the need to accept T19 crystals and 26.0mm dials. The 'Paul' cartel cases accept oem spec crystals/bezels and will take 26.5mm to 29.2mm dials because they have a 26.0 dial window opening with a 29.25mm dial seat.

If you remove the movement, bezels, and crystal, then sand the 'rehaut' at the top of your case to thin it down you may end up with the angle down to the dial rounded off a little, maybe enough to see, maybe not.

Narrowing the top of the 'rehaut' is the opposite of removing the 'wok' in a 'wokky' rehaut. To remove the 'wok' you have to either cut a short 90 degree angle (straight up from the dial) in the 'rehaut' down next to the dial to break the 'wok angle' or recut the entire angle from the dial up to the top without enlarging the dial window any more than necessary. When doing this you have to be able to increase the angle of the reflector enough to remove the 'wok' effect and still have the dial window close to the same size, all without running out of 'virgin' metal and leaving a break in the angle of the reflector surface.

To narrow the top of the 'rehaut' you would need to remove some metal at the top while being able to cut all the way down to the dial seat without running out of 'virgin metal' or opening the dial window up much at all. Not easy to do. 

Virgin metal = metal below the original machine cut of the reflector. You do not want to have two different angles intersecting on the reflector/rehaut.

From having at least 1000 screw-ups to my credit, my advice is to let it be.

I looked at some cases...

The op crystal neck looks maybe a hair wider than my MBK, two hairs wider than my Yuki and about three hairs wider than my 'Paul' cartel watch cases. In reality, not enough difference by eyeball to matter.

They tend to all be pretty much the same when made close to oem spec because of the need to accept T19 crystals and 26.0mm dials. The 'Paul' cartel cases accept oem spec crystals/bezels and will take 26.5mm to 29.2mm dials because they have a 26.0 dial window opening with a 29.25mm dial seat.

If you remove the movement, bezels, and crystal, then sand the 'rehaut' at the top of your case to thin it down you may end up with the angle down to the dial rounded off a little, maybe enough to see, maybe not.

Narrowing the top of the 'rehaut' is the opposite of removing the 'wok' in a 'wokky' rehaut. To remove the 'wok' you have to either cut a short 90 degree angle (straight up from the dial) in the 'rehaut' down next to the dial to break the 'wok angle' or recut the entire angle from the dial up to the top without enlarging the dial window any more than necessary. When doing this you have to be able to increase the angle of the reflector enough to remove the 'wok' effect and still have the dial window close to the same size, all without running out of 'virgin' metal and leaving a break in the angle of the reflector surface.

To narrow the top of the 'rehaut' you would need to remove some metal at the top while being able to cut all the way down to the dial seat without running out of 'virgin metal' or opening the dial window up much at all. Not easy to do.

Virgin metal = metal below the original machine cut of the reflector. You do not want to have two different angles intersecting on the reflector/rehaut.

From having at least 1000 screw-ups to my credit, my advice is to let it be.

Thanks. Very informative and great advice!

• 1 month later...