When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting vintage Rolex - ish homage

watchguy51

Also, these are not the first guys to do the whole "Swiss Made by way of China" routine, for mega profit. For $600 you can find a way better looking watch, for example any of the Rolex rep's from a TD or if you wanted to go name-brand get a Steinhart Ocean One Vintage

I have an O1V. Love it on NATO. In fairness, the bracelet is solid, too. I just like being able to change out natos quickly.

FYI, it was $600 shipped tithe states with bracelet and vintage leather strap with deployment. A lot for the money, if you ask me.

• Like 1

The Canadian dude is not wearing a watch!

Yeah, I noticed that right away too. "a natural wristwatch handyman, and has been a licensed diver since 2007"

OK so he fixes watches and is a diver, but doesn't wear a watch. :huh::bangin:

Dave...

I'm afraid this is another project that's doomed to failure. Poor design, terrible aesthetics, trying to get into production  and run not on a shoestring, but a thread!! This sounds like something that came to fruition not in a bank meeting room, but between some guys in a bar designing a watch on cocktail napkins.

Huge problem, the market is flooded with watches in the 500-1000 USD range. Some of them are pretty nice, but some are really ugly. What they almost all have in common is a struggle for funding and market share. Let's face it guys, the younger generation is not a watch wearing generation. If they need to know the time, they have it to within a millisecond accuracy on their smart phones, which they are looking at all the time anyway!! I would bet that within the next 10 years, 50-75 percent of the younger, start up "boutique" brands will be a historic antidote.  Like the Swiss watch industry was brought to it's knees in the 70's with the introduction of cheap quartz, this generation of manufacturers will be brought to it's knees by the Smart phone and smart watch. If the watch industry wasn't worried about the impact smart watches are going to have on their sales, why would Tag Heuer be spending millions of dollars gearing up to produce a Tag Smart watch? The Swiss can see the handwriting on the wall, and I'm sure they don't want it to be written in their blood like it was in the 70's. They scoffed at quartz, and it almost killed their industry, they aren't going to make the same mistake twice.

If I were those guys, Instead of developing a Butt ugly Dive watch that competes with multiple dozens of other ugly cheap Rolex Sub "wannabes", I would be trying to develop a smart watch, or apps to use on existing smart watches.