When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If watch brands were cars!

Paulza

Ok so I am a bit of a car enthusiast as well ! So it makes sense to me to relate watch brands to cars. Helps me put them in some sort of hierarchy in my own mind

This is what I think. Please feel free to ROTFLMAO and to have your own say and correct this. Some watches are already associated with brands but don't know if it's necessarily a good fit

Panarai - Lamborghini

Rolex - Porsche (struggled with this one)

IWC - Ferrari

Omega - Mercedes

Breitling - BMW

Tag - Toyota :-)

Seiko - Honda

Audemars Piguet - Hummer

Blancpain - Bentley

Patek Phillipe - Rolls

Happy new year

Edited by Paulza

Ok so I am a bit of a car enthusiast as well ! So it makes sense to me to relate watch brands to cars. Helps me put them in some sort of hierarchy in my own mind

This is what I think. Please feel free to ROTFLMAO and to have your own say and correct this. Some watches are already associated with brands but don't know if it's necessarily a good fit

Panarai - Lamborghini

Rolex - Porsche (struggled with this one)

IWC - Ferrari

Omega - Mercedes

Breitling - BMW

Tag - Toyota :-)

Seiko - Honda

Audemars Piguet - Hummer

Blancpain - Bentley

Patek Phillipe - Rolls

Happy new year

Do you associate the watch/car brands by value, or by style or character?

The Lamborghini is a high end car brand, whereas I would consider Panerai to be a mid range watch brand.

To me, a Rolex (perennial mid range watch brand of the world) could be associated better with Mercedes or BMW instead of Porsches.

The more exotic car brands in your list (Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche) would be more closely associated with AP, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, or even Richard Mille. 

It all depends on how the association is formed. :)

I guess it's a bit of both :-) . But am very keen to see if my perceptions are correct as I have no where near the kind of experience or expertise that the seasoned veterans here have. I know I understand car brands better than watch brands so matching them helps me put the watch brands into better perspective. Your comments on the Panerai are a perfect example and has already changed my perception of that brand

Cheers

I guess it's a bit of both :-) . But am very keen to see if my perceptions are correct as I have no where near the kind of experience or expertise that the seasoned veterans here have. I know I understand car brands better than watch brands so matching them helps me put the watch brands into better perspective. Your comments on the Panerai are a perfect example and has already changed my perception of that brand

Cheers

No worries, you have made reasonably fair observations .

We're all here to learn and share and of course you would understand that such associations are pretty subjective. I'm inclined toward APs and Hublots and being familiar with their relative price level vs other brands, I would have to say that I associate APs with Porsches quite a fair bit. In my country, the working class of men tend to wear panerai a lot, so I see them as fairly affordable and common. I would associate the average Panerai with Audi at best.

In terms of models, Rolex can also be associated with Porsches given the fact that vintage models for both are valuable among collectors. I would also associate Rolex with Mercedes given the "classic premium brand" factor. ;)

So depending on which angle we approach the discussion from, a watch brand can be associated with multiple car brands, and a car brand can likewise be associated with a few watch brands. No absolute or correct answers here. ;)

It would be like a discussion on "which is the best luxury watch brand?"

Pretty subjective as you can see, and it makes a good topic for discussion.

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

If I'd have to associate by character I'd say:

- Panerai - Jaguar (both quite big, fat, without extreme performance, and always similar to themselves)

- Richard Mille - A Ferrari tuned like this http://www.echolimousine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/The-Ferrari-Long-Limo.jpg to make it simply idiotic

- Rolex - Mercedes, luxury but not too much, and faithful to their image

- IWC - BMW, sporty look but still luxury brand

- Omega - Audi

- Tag - Mini - Sporty, less luxury than BMW

- Hublot - Hummer

- AP - Maybach

- Patek - Rolls

- BP - Bentley

- Breitling - I'd say MG, if MG was still on the market... Or Infiniti

I can't really find a watch brand that can express the sport, motion, speed, technology and price segment of Lamborghini or Ferrari

• Like 1

In my mind this cant be done im not a fan of pams but pams Would never be a Lamborghini since its a mid point brand iwc as Ferrari no way too it comes to a matter of taste for every one

And breitling Would be Rolls since they make watches for Them :)

I know one Thing if cars were watches i Would never buy a rep

And gentle MG is still on The market :D

AP - Porsche (RO and ROO is the 911 equivalent)

Richard Mille - Pagani (very exclusive, use of special materials)

Christophe Claret - Koenigsegg (high and innovative complication)

Rolex - Mercedes (large range of product from low to high)

Breitling - Jaguar

Zenith - Corvette

Panerai - Lexus

Hublot - Lamborghini (materials usage)

Omega - Toyota (high number of watches/cars produce each year)

Tissot - GM (high number of watches/cars produce each year)

IWC - BMW

Breguet - Maserati

JLC - Audi (high complications for JLC compare to Audi technology)

Blancpain - Lotus

Casio - Hummer (g-shock are tough)

Tag Heuer - VW

Patek - Ferrari

Vacheron - Bentley

Lange - Rolls Royce

Smartwatches - Tesla

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Breitling - Jaguar

Zenith - Corvette

Panerai - Lexus

IWC - BMW

Breguet - Maserati

Blancpain - Lotus

Tag Heuer - VW

Patek - Ferrari

Vacheron - Bentley

Lange - Rolls Royce

Smartwatches - Tesla

I couldn't have done a better list. :)

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

Its funny, whenever I have the watch conversation with people who aren't really aware of how deep the watch world goes, the car analogy is one I often use. Cars fall into classes much like watches do.

The Rolls Royce category - Patek, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet

Lamborghini - A Lange & Sohne, Jaeger Le Coultre, Blancpain

Ferrari - IWC, Audemars, Rolex

Porche - Panerai, Breitling,

Mercedes/BMW - Tag, Omega, Montblanc

Toyota category - All the fashion watches that shall remain nameless on this forum

At this poin it's hard to come up with some equivalence that has not already been mntioned. It's curious though that contributions to this thread focus on 10 to 12 brands, considering that thre are probably a couple of hundred in the market;  like, Ball, Bell and Ross, Vacheron, Girard, Victorinox, Graham, Ulysse Nardin, Doxa, Maurice Lacroix, Bulgari, to mention a few. 

Within this context, let ad my 00.2 cents to the list.  

Victorinox =   Hyundai

Vacheron =  Citroën

Doxa =  Volkswagen 

I guess it is quite subjective but generally comparable. Thanks for the insights. Interesting on the Panarai that I have always seen it as more of a top end brand based on who I have seen wearing them ( lawyers and corporate financiers) and the scarcity of them in South Africa and in Legends country they are working mans watches! . Geography and culture also seem to play a role in brand identity.

In SA a entry level car costs R100k ($10k) many mid range watches mentioned above cost a lot more here!

I guess it is quite subjective but generally comparable. Thanks for the insights. Interesting on the Panarai that I have always seen it as more of a top end brand based on who I have seen wearing them ( lawyers and corporate financiers) and the scarcity of them in South Africa and in Legends country they are working mans watches! . Geography and culture also seem to play a role in brand identity.

In SA a entry level car costs R100k ($10k) many mid range watches mentioned above cost a lot more here!

Yes, countries play a large part too in this discussion of association. 

I live in Singapore where incomes are generally higher, but where cars are notoriously expensive given the government controlled vehicle bidding and ownership system.

A toyota altis (or corolla) would cost about US$85k, an Audi A4 could cost about US$185K, a Porsche 911 C2S would cost about US$520k.. go figure.. :lol:

Panerais and Omegas are commonly seen on the wrists of bank executives (mid level I guess) and the bosses and senior executives wear anything from rolex to APs, assuming that they are into watches.

When I first started working, I bought my first Panerai (a 104) within six months, and it cost me about $5,500.00 then. The guys around me started wearing Panerai, and that was when I sold mine and moved on to Hublot and APs gradually. Right now, I only buy replicas when it comes to Panerais, I find them accurate enough on the wrist and I wear them as my casual watches. That was why I would not ever associate Panerai with Lamborghini, but thats highly personal. 

Perhaps in your country, Panerais would tell a different story and project a different image. Nothing wrong at all with that mate.   ;)

to compare, you have to take in account the price on the market of the products (cars or watches) and the technology of the products. As I'm living in Europe, they price shown below are ~MSRP in USD so everyone can have a rought idea.

For cars: 4x4, night vision camera, gearbox, 0-100km/h, the motor: 4cyl, V6, V8, V12, L6, flat 6 and so on. For leather: just the seat or the complete dashboard and central console with color stitching, some brand can't offer full leather interior (entry level).

For watches, you have complications: chronometer, day, annual calendar, perpetual calendar, GMT, minute repetition and materials for the case: stainless steel, titanium, gold, platinium, tantallum, sapphire glass, forged carbone, ceramic. The caliber (in house caliber for example El-primero and ETA is totally different), some watch brands are called Manufacture.

Some car brands can offer a full customization of the cars (painting color based on the sample that you give them, same for the interior (even full ostrich leather is possible). It's the same for watches, you will have a pièce unique (01/01).

You have entry level (<1000usd): Tissot, Victorinox, Doxa, Seiko and all sort of brands where watches is not their primary business (Oakley, Tommy Hilfiger, Dior, ...). Some of them are quartz.

Medium mechanical watches (1000usd, 3000usd): Omega, Tag, (ETA movement)

Medium high (3000 to 10'000): Panerai, Maurice Lacroix, some Breitling, Corum, bell &ross, graham

High (10'000 to 50'000): Zenith, Rolex, IWC, JLC, Breitling, Girard Peregaux,

Very high (50'000 to 100'000): Patek, AP, Vacheron, Lange, Kari Voutillainen, Urban Jurgensen and other independents watchmakers that manufactured watches only on order. Also Blancpain, Breguet, Hublot.

Exclusive (200'000usd to 500'000 and more): Greubel Forcey, Uhrwerk, Richard Mille, ...

Not taking in account diamond and jewellery that increase the final price. Difficult to determine the price ranges but I think you have a view on what's on the market.

In terms of image: Rolex, Panerai are very popular

We often say that the top 3 is : Patek Philippe (PP), A Lange and Sohne (ALS) and Vacheron Constantin (VC), they are also collectibles. They showed up on Sotheby auctions

Same for cars (to make it short)

Chinese automaker: they have their own category.

Entry level: Toyota, Peugeot, Renault, Opel (Vauxhall), Fiat, Seat, Honda, Citroen, Ford, Nissan,

Medium: VW, Mustang, Lexus, Acura

premium: BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Maserati, Corvette, Porsche

High (starting from 200'000USD) Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Maybach, Bentley, Roll Royce

Exclusive (1mio USD): Konigsegg, Pagani, Bugatti, ex-Wiesmann, ex-Gumpert

Breitling - Jaguar

Zenith - Corvette

Panerai - Lexus

IWC - BMW

Breguet - Maserati

Blancpain - Lotus

Tag Heuer - VW

Patek - Ferrari

Vacheron - Bentley

Lange - Rolls Royce

Smartwatches - Tesla

Nails it for me

- Panerai - Jaguar (both quite big, fat, without extreme performance, and always similar to themselves)

This made me lol

Breitling - Jaguar

Zenith - Corvette

Panerai - Lexus

IWC - BMW

Breguet - Maserati

Blancpain - Lotus

Tag Heuer - VW

Patek - Ferrari

Vacheron - Bentley

Lange - Rolls Royce

Smartwatches - Tesla

Couldn't have done a better list myself

Edited by jpohl402

Blasphemy!  Jag makes the best looking cars out there. And take this from a guy who has owned 5 Mercs in a row. I love Jags (and hate PAMs)! :D

PS: This doesn't look very "fat" to me... and while 550 hp might not offer "extreme performace" by today's standards, it's still plenty.

jaguar-f-type-r-coupe-c39642504201419244