When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Top Gun - V1, V2, and Swiss Mvmt

Renegade01

Okay Gents, I'm looking for real world experience from people that have purchased this watch.  Either the 3789 or 3799.

Which model did you buy?  How long have you had it?  Who'd you buy it from?  Is it still ticking, keeping time, looking good?

I'm especially interested in hearing back from anyone that paid up for the swiss movement watch.

Thanks in advance for sharing, I don't have enough info to judge the durability of the rep.  I have a 3714 with the asian 29J 7750 that has given me trouble and is need of repair so I'm hoping to avoid that type of issue again.

I've got the 3789. I've bought a whole collection of a member and this one was included. It is running on a strong 7750 movement which work great. The Top Gun on the side is a tell but mine is modded and is now better looking comparing to the gen. 

The only downside is that the day is stuck on friday during the change, this should be an easy fix tho..

No fear about the 7750 in both watches. It has the seconds subdial at 9 and so no problem like with the modded 7750 inside the 3714.

The 3799 is the watch I would prefer - if the makers could build a real split second movement. So it is a faux split second and I think the 3789 is the better one. Just look for the version with the real ceramic case. A better aftermarket strap - or possibly a gen strap - and some color corrections to the Top Gun logo at the side - a new super rep is born!

I wouldn't buy the ETA (swiss movement) version at a TD because it's overpriced. Buy the A7750 version and look for an ETA7750 on eBay. The normal price is about $250-$300. And it's an easy swap for your watch smith, possibly some corrections a the stems or the holes of the hands, the rest will fit without any problems.

I have a TG V1 with an ETA7750 transplanted. Awesome watch, I've worn it daily for about 2 years. Understated, yet always recognized by the WISes. Great travel watch. My watchsmith that did the conversion commented on the unbelievable quality of the dial finish. It obviously keeps great time with the ETA movement. I've worn it so much I've almost worn out the strap!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had the V2 now as my daily watch for 3 years with the Asian 7750 movement - and its not missed a beat.

The locking crown stopped screwing back in and Hont from Hontwatch (where I bought it from) repaired it for free.

Its just happened again!

Anyone else have this problem? Might have a go at fixing it myself, is it the stem that needs replacing?