When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch brands and wearer character/personality association

Legend

Someone recently did a similar thread for watch brands-car brands association.

I would like to get the opinion of everyone regarding what wearer traits you associate the various watch brands with?

I think this would differ from culture to culture, or from country to country.

Personally, I find Rolex wearers to be a more conservative bunch, more matured in disposition, and relatively more down to earth compared with wearers of other luxury brands like AP.

I generally consider AP wearers to be more "showy", living it up in general, and having louder tastes in life. Very similar to wearers of Hublot.

My dad has been wearing a Patek Philippe since I was young, so I associate the brand with the distinguished gentleman who is successful, somber, and likes to whoop my butt for the slightest mistakes. Ok that last bit was a tad too personal but you get my drift. :lol:    

Let the list roll gentlemen. 

Nice topic!  Again, should we distinguish between contemporary and vintage Rolex?

I'm certainly not characteristic of how most people use their watches, but I wear my old watch friends like I wear my boots or jacket: I put them on and forget about them... they're just part of me.

It's not devil-may-care, and it's not laissez-faire ... it's more like spending time with an old friend and not feeling the need to fill every moment with witty conversation.

• Like 1

Nice topic!  Again, should we distinguish between contemporary and vintage Rolex?

I'm certainly not characteristic of how most people use their watches, but I wear my old watch friends like I wear my boots or jacket: I put them on and forget about them... they're just part of me.

It's not devil-may-care, and it's not laissez-faire ... it's more like spending time with an old friend and not feeling the need to fill every moment with witty conversation.

I tend to agree B. 

Watches should form a natural extension of ourselves when we wear them, and not something we use to justify or prove our worth to another person.

If you like my watch, thank you. If you do not, too bad.

But yes I think contemporary Rolexes and their vintage counterparts are worn by rather different types of people.. But one shared trait I notice, both vintage and contemporary Rolex wearers in my circle tend to be relatively fuss free and value friendship and social connections more than the "louder" watch brand wearers.

I Got something about rolex wearing people :D and yes im one of Them and i Can relate to this Reason why i know its true :D haha

A man was in a horrible crash with his Porsche. When the ambulance arrived, they found him severely injured, whimpering "my Porsche... my Porsche..."

The emergency crew then had the difficult task to inform him that his left arm was totally ripped off.

To this, he replied in agony: "Oh no! My Rolex! My Rolex!"

• Like 2

In Italy the "culture of exteriority" is pushed a lot: here is not unusual to see people making debts to get a BMW to appear "someone", and then have troubles to refuel it. And this is generally inversely proportional with culture and establishment of them

In this context what I've seen is that:

1) very very few people know something about watches (I mean like mechanics or history of them)

2) they massively go for poor-content-trendy-brands like Breil, Morellato, Kalvin Klein, Armani, Nautica etc

3) 99.9% know that Rolex is luxury but think that Omega/Tag are just medium level watches, probably too expensive when you can get a Fossil that does the same task for much less

4) they don't know a f__k about brands like Chopard, Breguet, Graham, Vacheron & C, Tudor etc etc, and if they know something about Panerai, is just because of Laura Panerai (google it... But far from your children and wife...)

The result is that here it's PLENTY of people wearing Submariner, majority bad fake ones (last time I took the flight from Naples -considered the Italian capital of counterfeired good- to Milan I've noticed that around 70% of the males on that flight were sporting a Sub or a GMT, many even the limited edition LV... Com'on... ).

And this is the reason I had worries to get a SUB my self from here: I'd not have liked to be associated to those people (then I have decided that I don't give a [censored] and got a hulk one)

The low to middle class here goes for quartz too, like Sector, Phillip watch etc. Very few amators here.

The upper side of middle levels starts to sport good pieces: gen Sub if they aren't interested into the watches but just want to have something expensive to show around, or Breitling, Hamilton... Very very few Tags around here and even less Panerai (I've seen only one in the last 8 months).

High classes: I'm not dealing with them as they are on a kind of other planet respect to me :/

• Like 1

In Italy the "culture of exteriority" is pushed a lot: here is not unusual to see people making debts to get a BMW to appear "someone", and then have troubles to refuel it. And this is generally inversely proportional with culture and establishment of them

In this context what I've seen is that:

1) very very few people know something about watches (I mean like mechanics or history of them)

2) they massively go for poor-content-trendy-brands like Breil, Morellato, Kalvin Klein, Armani, Nautica etc

3) 99.9% know that Rolex is luxury but think that Omega/Tag are just medium level watches, probably too expensive when you can get a Fossil that does the same task for much less

4) they don't know a f__k about brands like Chopard, Breguet, Graham, Vacheron & C, Tudor etc etc, and if they know something about Panerai, is just because of Laura Panerai (google it... But far from your children and wife...)

The result is that here it's PLENTY of people wearing Submariner, majority bad fake ones (last time I took the flight from Naples -considered the Italian capital of counterfeired good- to Milan I've noticed that around 70% of the males on that flight were sporting a Sub or a GMT, many even the limited edition LV... Com'on... ).

And this is the reason I had worries to get a SUB my self from here: I'd not have liked to be associated to those people (then I have decided that I don't give a fuck and got a hulk one)

The low to middle class here goes for quartz too, like Sector, Phillip watch etc. Very few amators here.

The upper side of middle levels starts to sport good pieces: gen Sub if they aren't interested into the watches but just want to have something expensive to show around, or Breitling, Hamilton... Very very few Tags around here and even less Panerai (I've seen only one in the last 8 months).

High classes: I'm not dealing with them as they are on a kind of other planet respect to me :/

I am surprised to learn that Panerai (the watch brand) is not as well known as Laura Panerai (first time googling her, my wife is right beside me :lol:)

I always thought that the fashion-conscious Italians love their Panerais and Ferraris :D

In fact, I associate Panerai with Italy very much, how could anyone not do so?

Relating to wearer personality, I find that this is the brand worn by the most diverse of demographics.. from company CEOs, to personal collectors, to young executives, to playboys.. so I find it hard to define the "typical" Panerai wearer. 

On this side my very generalized opinion

More successful older guys wear Rolex as they can afford them. Young guys who have a Rolex always give me the impression that they more born with a silver spoon in there mouth (bully for them I say). Younger affluent crowd - tags and omegas are very popular.

Panarai - big dudes with muscles :-)

No offense to anyone I hope :-)

When living in Miami Beach I was exposed to a lot watches and had a bunch myself but knew very little about them as did most others.

Now I live in Nicaragua where most people don't even own a watch (except some quartz calculators on their wrists) and I am considered a weird character with my "hobby"

Rolexes were very common and not even looked upon as something special (unless it was a rare PN Daytona or something similar)

I remember buying my first Panerai in 1997/98( I think it was a 199, not really sure to be honest, lost it surfing years before I started learning about watches) and nobody was wearing them then - what I loved about them. But later they became very popular - especially with the muscle crowd (as stated before).

And of course the AP ROOs for the super rich and celebrities. While the simpler AP RO represents for me the more sophisticated crowd as do PPs and many of the vintage classics from Rolex, TAG and Omega

I agree with Nanuq: I get my hands dirty every day and I wear any watch to do so. Lately I have found that my AP RO 15400 rarely leaves my wrist. I almost don't feel it but I know it's there and it is as reliable and resilient as any Submariner I ever had.

I was hoping that the PP 5980 would fall in to the same category but while I love the way the watch looks it feels more delicate ( I think the AP is also the better quality rep just from the feel it has).

OK, enough rambling, just one quick profiling list (of course only my personal opinion so please don't feel offended):

New Rolex (I don't like any of them): Someone who wants to show he got it but just has no passion 

Vintage Rolex: For people that understand the timeless beauty of these watches that has been lost in the generations following them 

Hublot ( I actually like some of them, but would never-ever spend the money on a real one): People that buy a watch purely for the look and status, but know nothing about them

AP ROO: You are a movie star or want to be one. Rich kids of instagram come to mind ….

AP RO: You got it made, but only the ones in the know will know

PP: You better have great offsprings and hope that they won't drop it off at the pawn shop. Because it would be a shame (even if they are ridiculously over priced)

New Omega: Yes it looks better than any new Rolex but you are still trying to hard (love my SM 300 co-axial BTW)

Vintage Omega (and TAG): You outdid the vintage Rolex crowd in uniqueness and sense of style, but nobody will ever know

New TAG: Seriously???

Recent Panerai: I bet you don't know the model number you are wearing, but nobody can blame you. Looking at the PAM history is like reading a list of area codes: 111, 112, 113, 243, 305, 507 ….. (I would love the PAM 785 set though - PreV Retro at it's best)

Vintage Panerai: awesomeness - unfortunately clouded by elitist snobbism

Chanel and Cartier: Lovely on the ladies, can't really take the guys seriously though that wear them….

I know there are a lot more but I am getting a feeling I might have overstayed my welcome :)

• Like 1

I detect that this thread could get flamey, but for the honest answers.

I spend part of my time in the city and some in the country, which definitely changes the types of watches that I see. In the country I have seen a couple of Omegas, My mother wears a Longines and my father had a Bvlgari.

In the city on the other hand there are many many watches I've come across, and quite a few rolexes in there.

New Rolex: Typically new money, not a guy that is too into watches, sometimes flashy as is most well known (submariner)

Vintage Rolex: Understated, generally worn for the wearing and for nobody else, most wearers have a knowledge of watches

Hublot: Cares what other people think, will show off their watch, wants to get notices but has no idea of the mechanics behind what they're wearing

AP ROO: I feel that these are pretty similar to what I think about hublot, but at a higher price bracket. (Though I say this I am wanting a ROO diver :p )

AP RO: Understated, sophisticated, classy. I'd associate with an older gent who has it made.

Patek: Similar to the AP RO but I would hold this to a more revered level.

JLC: Knows about their watches, understated and classy

Omega: Up and coming young gent, can sometimes be worn by those knowing a little bit about watches (as is a less obvious choice than rolex)

Tag Heuer: Wants a nice watch, doesn't know about watches.

Heuer: Probably knows a lot about watches, or has had the watch for many years.

Panerai: Muscle man, flashy, lacking in finesse (I know some guys around here will do it but I cannot stand this watch worn with a business suit)

• Like 1

I wear mainly Breits, the odd Tag and Pam. Kinda like Big Minty Bear, I don't consider them to be flash or showing off, hell I can't even see them, but wear them as a part of myself. I hate the feeling of not having a watch on my wrist!

Not sure what people think of me or my watches, don't really care to be honest, but most are more concerned with making fun of my hair and clothes than taking note of a watch!

• Like 2

I've always leaned the same way as Nikki6 in that I don't typically care what others think about my choice of watches.    HOWEVER, I have to admit I'm having a bit of a difficult time with my new AP Schumi.   Even though nobody around here actually knows the value and details of the Gen version, this thing draws a lot of attention!   This is my 3rd day with it and I've received at least 5 comments on it.   Nothing else in my collection even comes close to that level of attention.  Even my Pam Bronzo with the baseball glove strap doesn't get as much attention..........

I wear mainly Breits, the odd Tag and Pam. Kinda like Big Minty Bear, I don't consider them to be flash or showing off, hell I can't even see them, but wear them as a part of myself. I hate the feeling of not having a watch on my wrist!

Not sure what people think of me or my watches, don't really care to be honest, but most are more concerned with making fun of my hair and clothes than taking note of a watch!

What About breitling? I Think here in Holland the breitling's are mostly worn by loud, not very intelligent young lads. Most of them a quartz version ofcourse. I agree with the Rolex and the AP statements. So what about the Breitling in your country's?

Interesting topic by the way!

What About breitling? I Think here in Holland the breitling's are mostly worn by loud, not very intelligent young lads. Most of them a quartz version ofcourse. I agree with the Rolex and the AP statements. So what about the Breitling in your country's?

Interesting topic by the way!

I personally consider Breitling and Omega to be in the same category, and in my country, they are worn by guys who like the look of a rugged luxury brand watch. Strangely, I do not see them as commonly as I see Rolexes, or even APs. Therefore, they are rather niche in my opinion in my country.

Franck Muller : Too much money, probably doesn't know much about watches, overpays for a brand that uses ETA.

Some do argue that Franck Muller is the Master of Complications, because he outdid Patek with the watch with most parts, but it's still ETA. A heavily modified ETA is still ETA.

Just like a KIA with gold paints and 1000HP engine will always be a KIA.

I have many friends who works as salesman in jewellers, and they claim that people who buys FM are usually rich people who just go for something expensive that isn't Rolex, because they want to be unique. They don't even know anything about the complications.

I always thought that the fashion-conscious Italians love their Panerais and Ferraris :D

In fact, I associate Panerai with Italy very much, how could anyone not do so?

Naaa... Panerai is a too a niche sector... Generally speaking here the well known brands are Ferrari, Lamborghini (which is Italian too, even if now it's owned by Audi), Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia (when it comes to the mechanical objects); then furniture brands like Scavolini, SCIC, ErnestoMeda, Snaidero; then the big fashon brands like Gucci, Armani, Versace, Coveri, Cavalli etc etc... 

Consider that here the middle class (that difficultly can access to luxury brands like the ones upper) consider "trendy" to have English names brands, so we have completely Italian brands with names like "Sisley" or "Best Company" otc etc...

Guest kingfrog

I wear a gen Rolex because I don't want to be "that guy" wearing a fake one. I don't understand why people buy fake Rolex watches when there are so many that look exactly like them without the branding. Are they trying to project an income level they do not have? Another reason I chose the Rolex Sub is because it is as good as currency on your wrist. But that I mean it is a great value, VERY liquid, and as Rolex increases their prices the used ones appreciate with that. The SUBS being the most revered and valued. 

The main reason I bought a gen other than I could afford it, is  I FEEL better wearing a gen. If I am told by someone admittedly wearing a replica "they did not want to stupidly spend $8000 on a watch" I reply I understand that, but to some people $8000 is equivalent to $80 bucks for you"   I did not want to spend $8000 so I bought from a TD on RF a 92014 AD sold used watch for $6000. 

I also would rather spend $300 on a good Citizen and $800 on a Ritmo Mundo than the same for a Chinese watch that may or may not work a year without anyone locally wanting to deal with servicing it. I absolute LOVE the Hublot Classic Fusion. I paid $178 for it. No one knows Hublot around here but still I am actively looking for a Homage to that watch. Without the name. 

I don't think there is any difference between a person flashing a fake Rolex or real one except the real one is affordable to the wearer. People WANT the name ROLEX on their wrists. I also think sometimes people who wear reps of $20,000 watches look silly because the rest of their kit does not match up with someone who wears that expensive  of a watch . People I know who can afford those watches have $100,000 collections. Not just one Patek Nautilus. 

If certain people did not want to flash the name Rolex around there would not be such a large market for reps. Proof? Steinhart and a whole lot of watch makers make exact replicas without the branding if was "only about the design" and not merely the flash of something  considered exclusive and expensive.

Panaris makes exact reps of the Panari without the Branding. Those are the watches I will buy if I liked the design. But the Rolex is a no brainer. It will sell for it's cost to me as time goes on. Or even better make a nice heirloom to pass down to a nephew (to sell if he chooses)  Just look at what people are getting for 15 year old Rolexes. More than the initial cost. 

Another of my favs is Breitling. That watch has to be purchased right because it does not hold value and is not as readily recognized in the wild. I have a Citizen that looks close to a Breit. But i want the real thing and that is where I am heading next as I ordered a $160 Steelfish Rep from InTime to test Drive,

Edited by kingfrog

Guest kingfrog

Franck Muller : Too much money, probably doesn't know much about watches, overpays for a brand that uses ETA.

Some do argue that Franck Muller is the Master of Complications, because he outdid Patek with the watch with most parts, but it's still ETA. A heavily modified ETA is still ETA.

I have many friends who works as salesman in jewellers, and they claim that people who buys FM are usually rich people who just go for something expensive that isn't Rolex, because they want to be unique. They don't even know anything about the complications.

I completely agree. I know people who buy watches they like the design of and the name. They have no idea how a watch works or movements etc. Who could blame them?, I don't know how the Body Control Module or EFI works in my Corvette or the mechanics of my Harley. I just enjoy them and let those who know better repair them

Guest kingfrog

BreitlingSource has a list of Breitling ambassadors 

one of my faves would be Chuck Liddell but only because of his Oscar winning performance here

http://youtu.be/HQAsvKE2E5A

HA love that and love Breitling but I have a problem with their price. Rolex has value. Rolex paid a lot for that house hold name and reputation. Breitling has a $5000 watch that's worth $2500 the day you take it home.  Plus Breitling has very high service costs. All things I investigated as I was going to buy that one before the Rolex. The only Two gens I wanted.

I decided to avoid those service costs I could buy at Costco. They confirmed they have a lifetime satisfaction policy regarding any watch they sell. However I have not found the Breit I want yet there. But they are always buying stock so i will wait and test drive a $200 Breit from InTime to see if it's even something I want. 

I prefer to consider myself a polished, professional gentleman and to be reasonably understated. I rock wild socks and purple and blue laces in dress-shoes (Allen Edmond's) and I typically wear nice clothes, Canali, Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece, RL Purple Label, Brioni, Borrelli, etc... I find a lot of pleasure in really well made clothes. I don't own a fake Rolex or any rep's but an Omega 300 master I picked up on a whim. I don't see myself getting heavy into reps, more so Frankens that I will work to build myself.

In most days particularly when I'm client facing I wear my Zenith. Others it's the Rolex Datejust 1603, or my Hamilton Tonneau on a lovely band. Casually, I'll wear my Archimede 42mm Flieger, the Omega Rep as a beater, and I am finishing my 5513 Franken nearly all genuine project watch that will be a casual watch and probably rest on a Nato strap.

Here's said Zenith (excuse the horrid desk/carpet, etc, I'm in a real estate office at the moment)

I agree that the AP ROO are very flashy and usually signify new-money or a celebrity wearer. That's partly why I love Adam Levine so much, and his decadent vintage Rolex collection. I think am pretty picky and don't think much of a lot of brands, and wouldn't pay 5 figures or more for anything but Vintage Rolex, Heuer, or new'ish PP, Vacheron, Breguet, Zenith (some of them, they are getting ugly) and Lange or similar. 

post-67250-0-68286100-1420752242_thumb.j

post-67250-0-08240000-1420752313_thumb.j

:(

I rock a gen muller and don't think this applies to me.

That's partly why I love Adam Levine so much, and his decadent vintage Rolex collection. 

I absolute agree, he has a magnificent collection of classy vintage rolex watches that just come off so effortless.

:(

I rock a gen muller and don't think this applies to me.

:S I quite like them, but can't speak for the movements.