When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a 5002 ?

B12b12

Hey all

Think it's time to get a IWC in my collection

This is the one I like best ; I think it's called a 5002 ?

But none of the reps I find on our TD's seem to be quite right ; missing number 9 ; faux reserve ; some working reserve

I know it's a noob question but anyone have any recommendations ?

I normally buy everything from josh or silix

Steve

post-60406-0-88447800-1420683051_thumb.j

Edited by B12b12

That's the one that Angus would list as V1 then ? .... I can't see how the working PR would be accurate especially for 7 days anyway ....

Thanks for the advice ; i

I think some of the TD Listings are a bit inaccurate anyways of what a 5002 is ; unless there are legit variations anyway !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is in fact a 5002, but a gen. The 5002 has the cipher 9 on dial, the 5004 doesn't have the 9. The PR index is complete white colored (partly red on 5004) and the DAYS is centered between the index ring (reads like DAYSI on 5004 because of wrong centering).

Only the versions with FAUX PR have the correct position of the PR subdial (the working PR has a wrong position too near to the center of the dial), they don't have a recessed date wheel (the working PR causes the recessed date) and only the versions with faux PR don't have a pusher at the left case side for date quickchange. This pusher is complete crap, no gen IWC BP has such a pusher.

You should open the watch and move the PR hand the small way towards full (carefull move it with a toothpic) pointing to the end of the index ring between the 7 and DAYS. A gen IWC BP shows "full wound" like this after a short time of wearing. So the faux PR is no real "flaw". Give a very, very small drop of oil to the bearing of the rotor to calm the noisy rotor.

The 5002 is the more "historical" watch IMHO. The dial is a direct swap against a gen dial for easy franken the watch. Last not least: the 5002 rep has the correct case back design, the 5004 rep doesn't have a correct case back design. Maybe I'm nitpicky, but I won't buy a rep with a wrong case back.

Here a link to Puretime and the correct, actual version of the 5002: Pure-Time.

The 5002 with faux PR is an "almost super-rep". To complete it franken it with gen dial, gen crown, relume of hands, gen strap and gen folding clasp (possibly new AR or gen crystal) - expensive but brilliant!

Wow thank you for the replies

And higginsd I really appreciate such a detailed response ......

I am indeed going to get the faux version ; but I'll stick with josh having bough maybe 20 reps from him already !

I can't wait to get my first IWC !

Steve

One word of caution, they do have crown/tube problems, so be gentle and do not tighten too much. No worries if it does happen, and easy fix (just search, there is a tutorial) and ends up better than before. Here is mine with gen dial

15641669668_8280841e44_c.jpg

BTW you will love the watch.

• 4 weeks later...

I am loving my watch by the way :-) its probably my favourite in my ( quite big ) collection !!!

One thing thats puzzling me is how to remove the caseback ? --- I tried my usual ball trick back to no avail ..... am I missing something  ?

Cheers in advance

Steve

• 1 month later...

Every AD sells you a gen strap. But careful, it is expensive (500-600$). Without the clasp, which costs additional 400$. The quality of the gen strap is unbeaten by any strap maker. Also the price...

Buying a gen clasp nearly makes no sense because the quality of the rep is very good. Only an expert can see the differences between rep and gen clasp. 

IMHO Peter.Watchacc has the best aftermarket BP straps, followed by HKTan and Jacob Straps.

Every AD sells you a gen strap. But careful, it is expensive (500-600$). Without the clasp, which costs additional 400$. The quality of the gen strap is unbeaten by any strap maker. Also the price...

Buying a gen clasp nearly makes no sense because the quality of the rep is very good. Only an expert can see the differences between rep and gen clasp. 

IMHO Peter.Watchacc has the best aftermarket BP straps, followed by HKTan and Jacob Straps.

I found a dealer selling AP genuine buffalo straps for $250.00 and having held them in the flesh they are way above and beyond what you get with the rep. Plus the rep deployant on mine is WAY off from the gen.

Plus the rep deployant on mine is WAY off from the gen.

Can you show what you mean? Possibly you have the old clasp with "International Watch Co." on it? Correct is the new version with "IWC Schaffhausen" on it. The old version isn't sold anymore. And I bet you cannot notice or show the differences between a BP rep clasp and a gen clasp because this is really hard.

P.S.: ask user rolojack in this forum, he sourced some high end BP rep clasps - if you cannot live with the "normal" rep clasp. And I never said the rep strap is good. It is crap. Choose a gen strap which is still unbeaten by every strapmaker's strap. 

Edited by higginsd

Thanks! The dealer I found doesn't seem to ship out of EU and Gray and Son's doesn't have much. I think I'll order one of Peter's straps, they seem quite nice. I'll contact Rolojack for a deployant, and I'll try to upload a pic of the one I have. Basically my complaint with it is that it slips out of the strap-holes really easily and doesn't look genuine from the 5002 pics I've seen on eBay etc.