When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Manual Winding Inquiry (PAM177 6497)

wadawalnut

Hello,

I just received my first rep, an H Factory PAM177. The watch is beautiful and keeps great time, however I noticed something a little strange. Before getting my watch I did some research on mechanical watches (this is my first mechanical watch) and I read that when winding the watch, stop winding once you feel resistance in turning the crown. So when I first opened the watch, I wound it (while it was off my wrist) until I felt significant resistance. Strangely enough, I only had to wind about 4 times, and the watch was fully unwound. A few hours later, I decided to wind it again just for fun, and again after about 3 or 4 turns I felt resistance. Then, about 4 hours later, the watch was unwound. I wound it again, and once again I felt the resistance after about 3 turns, but this time I decided to wind twice more. After two more turns, the resistance was gone, and then it came back again after another 3 or so turns. Is this normal? I saw on many threads that a full wind should be about 20 turns, but I am very cautious about winding and don't want to overwind/break the crown. So should I go for about 20 turns, or should I stop after about 4 (or whenever I first feel the resistance) ?

I'm going to post a review of this watch soon when I make sure everything is working properly :)

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the replies. I winded much more before I went to bed, and the power reserve lasted over 12hrs before I just decided to wind again for fun. Still haven't wound all the way yet I don't think, so I think the power reserve seems pretty good.