When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

We are paying too much for our reps!

sputim

I think the fact that our tds ship internationally which means their business is riskier pushes their prices up. What happens when customs takes your watch? You get another one. These guys sell mainly to China and the risk of anything going wrong is minimal.

So basically if one out of every 10 watches sold by tds goes missing or something goes wrong with, they need to push up the price on all the other watches by 10%

And yeah there's a big profit margin. We know that. Sead is selling the 512 for around $70 cheaper than Josh for instance.

But good find op I always did wonder how much they added on top because I know the Chinese are fond of their reps like us

Agreed 100%.   I don't mind paying a bit more to be assured I'll be properly serviced.   I currently have a shipment from Ryan that shows leaving China on Feb 3, but no further activity (16 days).   While I'm certainly disappointed, I have little doubt that Ryan will make it right after CNY. 

I think the fact that our tds ship internationally which means their business is riskier pushes their prices up. What happens when customs takes your watch? You get another one. These guys sell mainly to China and the risk of anything going wrong is minimal.

So basically if one out of every 10 watches sold by tds goes missing or something goes wrong with, they need to push up the price on all the other watches by 10%

And yeah there's a big profit margin. We know that. Sead is selling the 512 for around $70 cheaper than Josh for instance.

But good find op I always did wonder how much they added on top because I know the Chinese are fond of their reps like us

between $120 and $240 are perfectly fine for a nice toy that You just want to have, without giving it too much thought or for an impulse buy once in a while.

Imo from $250 upwards You get into a totally different decision-range where the purchase has to be considered and evaluated against alternatives (gens or just other items like TVs, smartphones, RCVs, notebooks, cameras, gold or silver coins or just any luxury article) which are abundantly available in the $300-$600 range and which are also fun, come in full working order with warranty etc.

I´ve tried/have several of these overpriced ones but the quality or reliability of otb reps, respectively the risk You are incurring is not on par with the fantasy price. As prices won´t come down any more, I hope they stabilize on present levels while the quality and/or warranties improve (replacement instead of repair etc.), making these reps an alternative again.

Let´s see how it goes, for the time being I´m just looking at quality builds, one time or the other checking on m2m but most probably just saving for the next used quality gen or lower/mid range gen-novelty.

I've slowed down my rep purchases considerably due to the high pricing, and started looking at affordable gens in the under $1000.

Unfortunately I just can't find a single watch that looks as appealing as the reps out TDs curently offer!