When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An open reply to the newbies who PMed me recently asking about the best sub (and other best stuff)

Legend

Dear Newbies,

Thank you for your PMs. In 4 days, I have received about 9 PMs from 9 newbies asking me, variously, who has the best sub, best GMT, best Omega Seamaster, best Asian fare in Singapore. 

I do sincerely apologize for ignoring each and every single one of the PMs, and for the guy asking me about the best Asian fare in Singapore without leaving a name or having the courtesy of even a brief introduction, the answer would be "Come to Singapore, and you will become the best Asian fare. A salient percentage of us are secret cannibals, and we love exotic foreign flesh".

To the rest of you asking about where the mysterious "best sub" can be found, it would help if you could first explain why you are singling me out for your innocuous, but misdirected questions. The "Legend" that my forum name refers to is "A classic and wonderful tale", which is how I hope my life turns out, sans the dragons, unicorns and noobs asking me about the best subs. It does not refer to the "an explanatory inscription accompanying an illustration"  type of "legend", or "map legends".. you know, the type of text that explains to reader about drawings or maps or symbols or where the best subs are.

For those of you who write without a brief introduction, or leave a name, or initials, please note that:

PMing "Where can I buy the best sub?" to me is often interpreted in my very capricious language as "The sender of this message has severely handicapped manners. He needs a 19 day course on manners and forum etiquette more than he needs a sub." So please, I would like to think that I am a helpful and nice chap, one of the useful fellows to have when you need information about the secret lives of mountain goats or which dealer to buy from. Its just that I do not respond very well to random and sporadic questions, without any courtesy of the briefest of introductions.   If it was a genuine emergency, like "My ass is on fire, where to find the best fire extinguisher?", I would definitely excuse the curt question and answer it rightaway I promise. But if you have the time to send me a PM, perhaps it would be useful to utilize a few moments of your precious and valuable time to say please, thank you and let me know that I am not communicating with a pair of disembodied arms floating over the keyboard. It would be reassuring as well. I eschewed communicating with disembodied limbs since I was 12, and I have no desire to relive that childhood. 

So please kindly pardon me, dear newbies, as the sometimes curmudgeonly Legend ignores your PM. Besides, there are many here way more qualified than me, especially in the areas of the the Rolex sub. I only started dwelling into Rolexes lately, thanks to the poisonous posse consisting of @folex, @Ezio, @watchfreund, @Mike on a bike, @sgtguk and other conspirators. Forgive the digression. My point is, I am probably newer than you in the realm of Rolex and the next time you send me a PM asking me about the best sub, please include also a helpful hint on what the correct answer should be. It confuses me if you guys are testing me like a initiate, or asking me a genuine question.

Actually, I would have happily directed you newbies wanting the best sub to seek help with member @kingfrog, had his term in RWG not been abruptly, cruelly and wickedly cut off, despite his obvious love for RWG and the Rolex Submariner. He owns a genuine $6000 submariner of which he is very proud of, but sadly, it gets tiring after hearing about the same lonely watch for the 9,486th time. Alas, Kingfrog would have been a poor teacher to you guys, displaying the usual amphibian traits of having a large mouth, a relatively small brain useful for storing and repeating facts about himself ad nauseum, and the tendency to croak. He has certainly croaked off RWG now, so I guess that leaves only about 50,000 happier RWG members to send your perennially classic question to.

I did do my part and tried to suggest to the Admin staff here once to create a sticky obviously titled "Who has the best sub" but the debate became rather violent, resulting in the demise of all the useful answers, a broken table and teacup, a cover up of the incident, and the eventual underground escapement of the question. Occasionally, it surfaces in the shoutbox and in PMs, but believe me kindly when I tell you that if you do a search, you can find fragmented remnants of The Question That Shan't Be Named.

The same does apply for the best AP, Hublot, Breitling, et al, and in fact any question that all.. Seek and ye shall find. And if you do not, then yes, a tip for you: PM someone and ask nicely if you expect a meaningful answer. 

Thank you kindly for reading this strange and convoluted rant of mine. Age sometimes does catch up, with wisdom lagging a year or two behind. ;)

Asking you who has The Best sub hahahahah sorry just shows that those people have not read one bit here we all know legend is The baron of AP's

Who have been violently pulled towards The Crown of watches Rolex

I admit i had a little In it but legend sure did have The desire to join The halls of Kings and now you have my friend :D

Great post bro

Always wonder why do alot of The newbs do those stupid stupid things

I didnt it had some dumb questions but nothing i didnt read up open myself and never did The who Got The Best Sub etc Thing haha

The best SD for sure.

I got the best alarm clock. The alarm sounds can be programmed as bird tweets, rhino grunts, or noobs screaming "who's got the best sub!" in a highly nasal voice.

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

Asking you who has The Best sub hahahahah sorry just shows that those people have not read one bit here we all know legend is The baron of AP's

Who have been violently pulled towards The Crown of watches Rolex

I admit i had a little In it but legend sure did have The desire to join The halls of Kings and now you have my friend :D

Great post bro

Always wonder why do alot of The newbs do those stupid stupid things

I didnt it had some dumb questions but nothing i didnt read up open myself and never did The who Got The Best Sub etc Thing haha

YOU! One of the poison posse, who keeps telling me "Bro you need to get this and that Rolex, go read up on the history, once you go down the Rolex road you'll never turn back." :D

But its true mate.. I am really feeling it..I want to go out and buy myself a GMT 2 now. That idiot Folex isn't helping either.

Anyway, just in case i still get those PMs, who DOES have the best sub please? 

I figured it would squeal excitedly to you in a lady's voice "You've got the best AP baby..."

AP in this case, would hopefully be Awesome P*nis. :lol:

My condolences to you Legend, a situation like yours would have me upping my medication.

People who expect you to go out of your way for them without themselves exhibiting any common courtesy in the process, is just plain wrong.

That aside,

It is unfortunate that people new to this game assume (wrongly due to lack of research) that there is a "best " out there of any brand of rep. The latest model is not necessarily the one with the least "flaws", or even if it is, the watch that arrives on your doorstep may have been assembled by a deranged orangutan. Knowing what "flaws" you are willing to put op with only comes with experience,  a commodity  unfortunately,that newbs are in short supply of.( and apparently courtesy as well)

By the way, where do you get the best eats in Singapore?(stir fried newbs aside) :bleh:

It would be a bit of a commute though, from my current location. :cold: (Northern Canada)

Dear Newbies,

Thank you for your PMs. In 4 days, I have received about 9 PMs from 9 newbies asking me, variously, who has the best sub, best GMT, best Omega Seamaster, best Asian fare in Singapore.

I do sincerely apologize for ignoring each and every single one of the PMs, and for the guy asking me about the best Asian fare in Singapore without leaving a name or having the courtesy of even a brief introduction, the answer would be "Come to Singapore, and you will become the best Asian fare. A salient percentage of us are secret cannibals, and we love exotic foreign flesh".

To the rest of you asking about where the mysterious "best sub" can be found, it would help if you could first explain why you are singling me out for your innocuous, but misdirected questions. The "Legend" that my forum name refers to is "A classic and wonderful tale", which is how I hope my life turns out, sans the dragons, unicorns and noobs asking me about the best subs. It does not refer to the "an explanatory inscription accompanying an illustration" type of "legend", or "map legends".. you know, the type of text that explains to reader about drawings or maps or symbols or where the best subs are.

For those of you who write without a brief introduction, or leave a name, or initials, please note that:

PMing "Where can I buy the best sub?" to me is often interpreted in my very capricious language as "The sender of this message has severely handicapped manners. He needs a 19 day course on manners and forum etiquette more than he needs a sub." So please, I would like to think that I am a helpful and nice chap, one of the useful fellows to have when you need information about the secret lives of mountain goats or which dealer to buy from. Its just that I do not respond very well to random and sporadic questions, without any courtesy of the briefest of introductions. If it was a genuine emergency, like "My ass is on fire, where to find the best fire extinguisher?", I would definitely excuse the curt question and answer it rightaway I promise. But if you have the time to send me a PM, perhaps it would be useful to utilize a few moments of your precious and valuable time to say please, thank you and let me know that I am not communicating with a pair of disembodied arms floating over the keyboard. It would be reassuring as well. I eschewed communicating with disembodied limbs since I was 12, and I have no desire to relive that childhood.

So please kindly pardon me, dear newbies, as the sometimes curmudgeonly Legend ignores your PM. Besides, there are many here way more qualified than me, especially in the areas of the the Rolex sub. I only started dwelling into Rolexes lately, thanks to the poisonous posse consisting of @folex, @Ezio, @watchfreund, @Mike on a bike, @sgtguk and other conspirators. Forgive the digression. My point is, I am probably newer than you in the realm of Rolex and the next time you send me a PM asking me about the best sub, please include also a helpful hint on what the correct answer should be. It confuses me if you guys are testing me like a initiate, or asking me a genuine question.

Actually, I would have happily directed you newbies wanting the best sub to seek help with member @kingfrog, had his term in RWG not been abruptly, cruelly and wickedly cut off, despite his obvious love for RWG and the Rolex Submariner. He owns a genuine $6000 submariner of which he is very proud of, but sadly, it gets tiring after hearing about the same lonely watch for the 9,486th time. Alas, Kingfrog would have been a poor teacher to you guys, displaying the usual amphibian traits of having a large mouth, a relatively small brain useful for storing and repeating facts about himself ad nauseum, and the tendency to croak. He has certainly croaked off RWG now, so I guess that leaves only about 50,000 happier RWG members to send your perennially classic question to.

I did do my part and tried to suggest to the Admin staff here once to create a sticky obviously titled "Who has the best sub" but the debate became rather violent, resulting in the demise of all the useful answers, a broken table and teacup, a cover up of the incident, and the eventual underground escapement of the question. Occasionally, it surfaces in the shoutbox and in PMs, but believe me kindly when I tell you that if you do a search, you can find fragmented remnants of The Question That Shan't Be Named.

The same does apply for the best AP, Hublot, Breitling, et al, and in fact any question that all.. Seek and ye shall find. And if you do not, then yes, a tip for you: PM someone and ask nicely if you expect a meaningful answer.

Thank you kindly for reading this strange and convoluted rant of mine. Age sometimes does catch up, with wisdom lagging a year or two behind. ;)

So you're saying that we shouldn't conspire that whomever wins the mod for a day raffle shouldn't use the power granted to us from the forum gods and hack the forum to automatically forward all such posts to your PM box?

• Like 1

YOU! One of the poison posse, who keeps telling me "Bro you need to get this and that Rolex, go read up on the history, once you go down the Rolex road you'll never turn back." :D

But its true mate.. I am really feeling it..I want to go out and buy myself a GMT 2 now. That idiot Folex isn't helping either.

Anyway, just in case i still get those PMs, who DOES have the best sub please?

AP in this case, would hopefully be Awesome P*nis. :lol:

Unfortunately for you, that belongs to moi.

By the way, where do you get the best eats in Singapore?(stir fried newbs aside) :bleh:

It would be a bit of a commute though, from my current location. :cold: (Northern Canada)

That, was truly hilarious. You owe me the 1/4 cup of tea I spilled while reading your post. Lol

So you're saying that we shouldn't conspire that whomever wins the mod for a day raffle shouldn't use the power granted to us from the forum gods and hack the forum to automatically forward all such posts to your PM box?

If that privilege is accompanied by appointing you as "official QC pics advisor for Noobs", then I guess I'll accept.

Misery loves company. :lol:

As usual sir, you have stated a real problem in a most eloquent manner. While I have not been plagued as frequently as yourself with these mysterious messages straight out of the blue. Usually prefaced by nothing more than " hi, I want the best Daytona possible, my budget is 200-250 USD, who has one"? Nary a please, thank you, or excuse me for your trouble.

What is going on with the lack of civility, the total lack of social graces, and this sense of empowerment that some people have that leads them to impose on others almost at will.

It's very hard for me to understand this attitude, having been brought up to show respect for others, no matter who they are. It is simple courtesy to introduce yourself, add a please and thank you in the conversation. Get's you a lot further with others, rather than having this attitude of entitlement.

It's not my duty or obligation to address anyone's questions, especially when they come across with this attitude. I like most folks here are very eager to help newcomers. We were all noobs once, but while we are glad to help, we deserve and demand a modicum of courtesy and respect.

• Like 1

Rant alert!

The humanity!  How do we keep the kids from reading his post!  Step away children, save yourselves!  Your eyes will be forever seared from The Legendary Spanking. 

post-32-0-69150900-1421351036_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's right baby ... I threw all the Kruggerands out in the back yard to make room for The One.

The Sultan of Brunei has been after me to buy the opportunity to gaze upon its Thin Red Loveliness.

No dice says I, unless he throws in some dancing wenches.