When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 5514 build

ww12345

I've got a 2nd generation MBW 5513 case. Was thinking of using that, having a he valve drilled in then possibly getting the caseback engraved. Makes sense? Anybody know a caseback engraving master?

THE case back engravings master is phong he can custom engrave it. Dbane and whoopy worked together with phong to create this awesome caseback that ww12345 and I have. Correct font, correct coronet.

Drilling an HEV in a 5513 midcase isn't a good idea if you ask me because the 5514 has a specific midcase construction inside

Cheers for info ingelero. I should point out that when I said drilling a he valve I think I would opt for the non-functional 'plug' valve option so would not drill into the inside of the case.

Can you send a caseback to phong to engrave without having to buy one off him?

Yes you can send you caseback to him and he will do the work for you, you can even send him your MBW midcase and he will make it look like a 30 yo case, he is very very good at aging a case ! He will polish your lugs to make them thinner and he will also polish the sharp edges of your case.. He can even delete the wrong Polex design from your case and re engrave a custom serial number ( the engravings are very very good btw, honestly there are no rep case that is engrave as phong do)

"Drilling an HEV in a 5513 midcase isn't a good idea..."

Iirc the only difference besides the hole was a small cutout around the spring made with a milling machine. If so, it would not be hard to duplicate. I looked on the 'net but could not find any clear pictures of the inside of a 5514 case.

It is definitely a hard task to drill a working HEV without proper tools !!

Here is a picture of an inside HEV from a gen 5514 comex:

8b7b6515e04024d6aecd4b6f22eca8da.jpg

Here is a picture of my phong 5514 HEV

34ce18f017dfcc7a1b58859030bdc607.jpg

You see the discontinuity inside the case ? This is why the HEV works, I doubt you will be able to shave a 5513 case inside and obtain the same result without the proper tools and skills..

Edited by ingelero

A hole would need to be drilled for the stem of the HEV.  Then a recessed area for the head of the HEV along with the associated washer.

The inside of the case will need to be milled so that the rectangular spring does not interfere with the movement.  Here's an old pic i have of the inside of a Phong 5514:

IMG_3071_zpsd4d07f9f.jpg