When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

US Customs - Anyone had any problems lately?

hiker01

Just wondering if any member have had any issues with US Customs???

I have 5 watches setting in Chicago customs for two weeks.....

I advice the TD to split, but said he knows how to deal with customs, so he shipped in one

package via EMS.

Thanks for any info!

I was going to reply that Chicago is getting real bad on reps. And that was before I even read your post.

I've heard several guys on the different forums complaining about losing their reps in Chicago just lately. Good luck with this and keep us posted.

I was going to reply that Chicago is getting real bad on reps. And that was before I even read your post.

I've heard several guys on the different forums complaining about losing their reps in Chicago just lately. Good luck with this and keep us posted.

Yep seen it too

Bummer. I was thinking of ordering my first from a TD. Oh, well. Good excuse to start another franken.

Probably the luck of the draw, but I would say sending 4-5 in one package is a big risk. like kbh said, several folks on different forums have had watches seized going through Chicago. Who knows why they are cracking down there? This could be a temporary thing, or it could be a sign of what's to come everywhere. Hopefully, this is just a passing fad sort of thing, and they will move on to something else in a few weeks.

What is pretty weird, is no matter where you live in the CONUS, there is no predictability as to what POE a package from China will come through. I suppose when they send packages from China, when they get to the airport sorting center, they are put on the first available flight, no matter what the final destination. So you may get one package that goes through San Francisco, the next one may be Chicago, the next Dallas, and so on. Depends on what flight your package gets on and where it's going. Just get it to the USA and let the USPS sort it out from there!!     

I live in Chicago, have a Nautilus chrono coming my way from InTime Ryan, hasn't hit US yet.

Been collecting reps for over 10 years now, this is really the first time I'm worried.

I'm starting to think more about M2M sales, never gone that route before.

Curious, if one puts a watch inside a metal statue, can customs x-rays detect it?

A 5-rep package cooling its heels in customs for 2 weeks portends bad news, compadre. There's been a rash of rep seizures at the Chicago ISP lately, which will almost certainly spread to other ports of entry when words of "success" reverberate around the country. Contrary to what has been suggested, the POE is not random. It is predetermined at the POO (point of origin). What is random is which packages get pulled for inspection and what X-Rays reveals will heighten the level of scrutiny. We all pretty much know which areas of China most reps ship from and so do the customs people, I'm sure. It's a wonder most of our stuff make it through. I guess they've been doing "wink, nod, look the other way" until now.

These are troubling times in repdom, friends.

A 5-rep package cooling its heels in customs for 2 weeks portends bad news, compadre. There's been a rash of rep seizures at the Chicago ISP lately, which will almost certainly spread to other ports of entry when words of "success" reverberate around the country. Contrary to what has been suggested, the POE is not random. It is predetermined at the POO (point of origin). What is random is which packages get pulled for inspection and what X-Rays reveals will heighten the level of scrutiny. We all pretty much know which areas of China most reps ship from and so do the customs people, I'm sure. It's a wonder most of our stuff make it through. I guess they've been doing "wink, nod, look the other way" until now.

These are troubling times in repdom, friends.

Yep Welcome to customs problems In EU nothing makes it without transhipping i just love The help i get sometimes from some great members here

I live in the South, I get stuff clearing through NY, San Francisco, and a couple years ago through Anchorage. When I send packages overseas, no matter where they are heading, they go out of Miami. Strangely, nothing ever enters through Miami.

As was said above, I believe that where the package originates is more important than where it lands. Chicago may be the "bad boy" right now, but that could shift at any moment to any or every customs facility. The customs service is well aware that most of the counterfeit trade is centered around Guangzhou, so it would stand to reason that parcels from there would get more scrutiny. Now that we are in the post Christmas lull, less freight is coming through customs, which probably allows closer looks at things that they deem suspicious. If it weren't for the sheer volume of freight, plus more emphasis on intercepting dangerous goods like drugs, weapons and higher profile items, we would be looking at a lot more interceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one disappear into the black hole of Chicago customs for a couple weeks. Then one day it was sent merrily on it's way. I would guess you would hear something if it were confiscated. So, no news is good news!

No doubt if it get's confiscated, you will get a letter. May take a couple of weeks, but the letter will show up.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for you too, hiker.

Now cross yours for me, my watch left dealer on the 17th, no new updates yet. I'm in Chicago.

This is nerve wracking.

• Like 1

A Rolex shipped from China with paperwork stating "toy" or "toy watch", with no insurance, might just give it away....     B)

I still don't know how they can tell a highly modded rep from a gen, I wonder how many gens get nicked every year by thieving customs agents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: my watch cleared Chicago Customs yesterday, thank you sweet Jesus.

Complete luck of the draw, it was only one watch, a Nautilus. I thought maybe because it's somewhat obscure but a Richard Mille got snagged recently.

Anyway, I'm relieved. Question is, how to proceed from here? There's a few more watches I'd like to acquire.

Talk to TD about Customs before ordering? Maybe they won't want to sell to me.

I cannot imagine US Customs is going to be digging into small package shipments, other than on a very random and small scale.   They are already overwhelmed trying to keep up with container sized shipments entering the USA.   They simply cannot do it.

I just ordered a piece from Ryan yesterday and will report in once it ships.   I would not hesitate to order, but limit a single order to 1 or 2 pieces.  If they get seized, the TD will reship, once you have provided proof of the seizure.....

Update: my watch cleared Chicago Customs yesterday, thank you sweet Jesus.

Complete luck of the draw, it was only one watch, a Nautilus. I thought maybe because it's somewhat obscure but a Richard Mille got snagged recently.

Anyway, I'm relieved. Question is, how to proceed from here? There's a few more watches I'd like to acquire.

Talk to TD about Customs before ordering? Maybe they won't want to sell to me.

Ok the facts are that for 7 years I never had a problem shipping to the USA, in the last year (and mainly the last part) there has been a few stoppages so to some point there is a clamp down.

That said the vast majority still go through but what is taking a little of the randomness out of it is that they seem to be increasing processing times.

Ken