When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Planet Ocean do I choose?

andber

Hi,

I am about to make my first buy!

I'm choosing from 2 different reps from 2 different dealers.

Trusty-Time

Movement - Swiss ETA 2824-2

Price 348usd

Silix-Prime

Movement - Swiss ETA 2836-2

Price 225usd

Differences:

Movement - 2824-2 or 2836-2, is either one better than the other?

Bezel - I think I preffer the black one, but both works for me.

Strap - Rubber from Trusty-Time which I think is more correct, leather from Silix.

Price - There is a big price difference, 123usd. Why, is one of them better than the other?

Which one would you choose?

/Anders

post-69457-0-46575100-1421680501_thumb.j

post-69457-0-10416500-1421680502_thumb.j

That orange PO looks terrible. Between those two, I'd pick the CrPO. Keep in mind that you're comparing the old 2500-series PO (the orange) with the current generation 8500-series PO (black bezel). There are quite a few differences between the two generations of PO, in addition to the differences between rep versions.

The 8500 PO's are thicker, heavier, have different dials, clasps, and ceramic bezel inserts (obviously). You'll want to first decide which type of PO you want then choose the best rep version. I am partial to the 42mm Noob factory CrPO with black bezel and silver markers - they are outstanding watches and reps. This is my second CrPO:

b7dd4a75d921be95e4108e2b58b9cfde.jpg

BTW: there are multiple dial and bezel color combinations available for both generations of PO. In addition, there are 45mm and 42mm case sizes. I prefer the 42mm version for my 7.5" wrist. The two most popular PO reps currently are the 42mm LMPO (limited edition gen based on the 2500 watch) and the CrPO (ceramic bezel 8500 model).

Edited by Resistor

I've read somewhere that the Noob CrPO's are not being produced anymore. So if that is true (can someone verify?) I would take that into consideration as well.

I have heard that as well. Bought mine from sead last November. I think reaching out to a dealer for verification will be the only way to know. Picked up my current CrPO through a WTB ad, since I heard the first batch was gone.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest sticking with 42mm PO. the size and proportions look better and I have had trouble with 45mm versions. The biggest problem I have is the stem being a hair too short and not resetting the keyless works to the 0/winding position after changing the time or date.  

I also second the 42mm CrPO. The bracelet on the LMPO is not very nice and then you're also staying away from a limited edition watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack but i have read also a lot... Noob or bp crpo ? Any thoughts about miyota ... is the premium for noob worth it ?

Noob, if you can find one. There's nothing particularly wrong with the Miyota versions, but the noob with the ETA clones are just so nice. I've had two and they have both been outstanding build quality-wise.