When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you guys clean your watches?

wadawalnut

Hello,

I recently got my first rep, and for some reason, I find that the sapphire crystal picks up quite a bit of 'dirt', or smudges, and I'm not sure how to get them away. I'm hoping that this isn't just my watch...

So what do you guys do to clean the sapphire if it gets dirty?

Hello,

I recently got my first rep, and for some reason, I find that the sapphire crystal picks up quite a bit of 'dirt', or smudges, and I'm not sure how to get them away. I'm hoping that this isn't just my watch...

So what do you guys do to clean the sapphire if it gets dirty?

If it's sapphire then use anything other than sapphire or diamonds to clean it. :partytime:

If it has an exterior coating of AR then as mentioned, breath or a slightly damp clean cotton cloth should do fine. Can probably use a cloth for cleaning eye glasses, not the disposable pretty moistened rather a reusable cloth.

If your watch is water resistant to some extended.was its with mild soap and water ,dry with a towel and wipe the glass with a cloth like the one used to clean glasses,lenses etc.

If you watch has dirt.usually on the back from dirt or sweat you can use rubbing alcohol alcohol with q-tips.

Also a microfiber cloth,like the one we use fro lcd screens can be used. Never use napkins,kitchen paper etc since paper can sometimes be rough and scratch soft metal polish.

I clean the glass parts with a glass spray  cleaner i use for my glasses, got it form my optician store .Works like a charm and doesn't destroy AR coatings etc and its very cheap (about 1-2 euros)

Sapphire is a fingerprint magnet. Nothing you can do about it (other than opting for a vintage watch with an acrylic crystal, which hides all but the worst muck). Most of the time, just huffing on it and wiping off on your shirt or a soft cloth is all you need. Or use a non-Ammonia glass cleaner (if the crystal has an anti-glare coating, ammonia will smear or remove it).