When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help putting back balance stud and regulators

GenTLe

Alex, this is a test movement: partially assembled, got for free from a member of the other RWG. I needed to unassemble the stud and regulator to take out the Inca spring that I need for another (good) 7750 that has a broken lyra spring.

No, couldn't just swap balance assembly as the co_k is different and doesn't fit in my other base plate.

Now, before going to work on the good one, I want to learn on this test one.

Cheers, GenTLe (Alex too, that's my real name)

Edited by GenTLe

I think the first think you need to do is get the balance wheel with attached hairspring out of the way. You don't want to damage that any further ;)

Put a piece of rodico under that fine regulator arm to hold it in place while you remove and turn over the balance c ock.

Then you need to unscrew the stud retaining screw that holds the hairspring stud in the balance c ock. That's the screw at the 7 o'clock position in your photo.

only turn that screw half a turn at a time, until the stud is released. You do not want that falling out!

Where the terminal coil of the hairspring passes through the regulating pins, the 2 brass pins at the 8 o'clock position there is usually what's called a 'boot' that sits across the 2 pin to prevent the hairspring from jumping out of the pins.

This 'boot' will rotate. They sometimes have a tiny slot in the top to get a screwdriver in, they sometimes have a hole in the side to insert a tiny needle etc. or grip it with a pair of tweezers and turn it a quarter turn and lift out the hairspring.

Remember to do the stud retaining screw up as soon as you have the stud out. 

I can't help you with the refitting the regulator arm as I haven't done one yet.

But get the balance and hairspring clear first ;)

Good luck.

• Like 1

This thing is a bi_t_ch!!!! I managed to take out of the way the balance and its spring, putting back the hair spring stud holder on the co_k is easy, but the coarse and fine regulator rings are BAD to put back around the jewel holder...

REALLY bad, they are!

I think the first think you need to do is get the balance wheel with attached hairspring out of the way. You don't want to damage that any further ;)

Put a piece of rodico under that fine regulator arm to hold it in place while you remove and turn over the balance c ock.

Then you need to unscrew the stud retaining screw that holds the hairspring stud in the balance c ock. That's the screw at the 7 o'clock position in your photo.

only turn that screw half a turn at a time, until the stud is released. You do not want that falling out!

Where the terminal coil of the hairspring passes through the regulating pins, the 2 brass pins at the 8 o'clock position there is usually what's called a 'boot' that sits across the 2 pin to prevent the hairspring from jumping out of the pins.

This 'boot' will rotate. They sometimes have a tiny slot in the top to get a screwdriver in, they sometimes have a hole in the side to insert a tiny needle etc. or grip it with a pair of tweezers and turn it a quarter turn and lift out the hairspring.

Remember to do the stud retaining screw up as soon as you have the stud out.

I can't help you with the refitting the regulator arm as I haven't done one yet.

But get the balance and hairspring clear first ;)

Good luck.

give this man an award !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You broke my movement already, lol.

Good luck with this i did one on a 6497 and its a pain to do

Lol, the balance co_k was not fitting on my plate, so I had to do that in order to take out the spring (main reason I was searching it) without breaking it ;)