When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Low beat movement for 5513 build.... ETA 2840....

dutchguy2

I am looking for a low beat movement for my 5513 build. In my search for a good movement I came across the ETA 2840. this is a exclusively for Swatch watches movement. They can me had for little money, arround 20 to 30 Euro from the bay. Mostly still in the Swatch watches.

Its is a simplified ETA 2824-2 slower beating, without regulating device and with a cheaper Novodiac shock protection.

Some specs:
Manufacturer ETA
Caliber 2840
Number of jewels 23
Escapement Anchor with pallets
Balance Nickel
Shock protection(s) Novodiac
Balance  direction clockwise
Hairspring stud moveable
Regulator type Hairspring key
Features SCD,AUT
Functions Hour, minute, second, selfwinding
Beats per hour 21600
Size 11 1/2'''
Production time 1991 –

ETA_2840.jpg

My question is what do the watchmakers, experts, think of this movement? What are the cannon pin heights? Did anyone ever tried it in a no date build en what are your experiences?

True, but then again I can buy a new one for cheap.

As far as I could find out it has the same dimensions as a 2824 and therefore should fit any case that can hold this movement.

My biggest concerns are the positions, height, off the hands over the dial. To low is a no go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Which 5513 case do you have? And is it set up for a specific movement?

It looks to me like the 2840 closely approximates the 2824-2. The 2836-2 and the 2846-2 are very similar.

Changing out the pinions should be an easy swap- probably is the same parts as TC uses.

I have two cases. One HH 5513 and one Cartel 5513.

Since the HH case is real crap I probably will use the Cartel case with a lot of reshaping. What is crap about the HH case: Bezel construction, the hole for the tube is to big and a gen or gen style tube will not fit (I wonder how everybody else did fix that).

I know a 2846 fits a Cartel case well, I have one in my Tudor build. So, that should be no problem. I also know that a 2846 will have a wrong stem height in the HH case. Another reason not using the HH case.

A final word on this.

I bought 2 complete Swatch watches to try out the movemens.

Most importand part why they don't work for us, there are no holes in the main plate to atach mounting screws for the little clasps. So in the end you cannot secure the movement to the case, so a 2840 is a nogo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good idea about the 2click stem. Need to try that.

I did that for the 1016 I sold I few months back and also on the McQueen build I had for my birthday last year. Works like a charm. Plan on doing that next to my wife's 14270.

So far the average of the 2840 movements is decent enough that I can just buy one for the donor parts and sell the rest to someone that may need it. 

E

Of any real way to secure a dial to it. 

E

+1 DVNE. no holes for dial feet, and no way to clamp them with tabs and a movement ring. You have to use dial dots to secure the dial.You have to get pretty creative setting it in the case properly as well. Getting it out of the old case is another real hassle (if you haven't already done so). Many are integrally designed into their case, so removal is VERY destructive.