When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Does this look gen or rep?

viol8r44

for those of you who say its obviously fake.....not to everyone, to you guys who have been doing this for years maybe. I have no friggin idea what I'm looking at when I try to tell the difference between gen and rep? Believe me I'm trying to learn. For instance I have a sub I bought from Andrew @ Trusty ...I'm sitting here looking at it and looking at watches on ebay or even the Rolex website .....what the hell am I looking for? They look virtually identical to me. Maybe the rep is a little thicker? maybe the crown looks slightly different? I am not saying any of this as a smart ass I honestly want to know what to look for and to learn the difference. I have a rep from about ten years ago....a datejust and yeah I can for sure tell the difference from it and a gen...the date window has no magnification, and it obviously looks and feels cheap...but I bought my Mom a ladies datejust and we put it next to my Aunt's gen and I couldnt tell them apart aside from the rotor inside the rep was noisier. Anyway thanks again for all the help and input as usual  you guys are a wealth of knowledge 

for those of you who say its obviously fake.....not to everyone, to you guys who have been doing this for years maybe. I have no friggin idea what I'm looking at when I try to tell the difference between gen and rep? Believe me I'm trying to learn. For instance I have a sub I bought from Andrew @ Trusty ...I'm sitting here looking at it and looking at watches on ebay or even the Rolex website .....what the hell am I looking for? They look virtually identical to me. Maybe the rep is a little thicker? maybe the crown looks slightly different? I am not saying any of this as a smart ass I honestly want to know what to look for and to learn the difference. I have a rep from about ten years ago....a datejust and yeah I can for sure tell the difference from it and a gen...the date window has no magnification, and it obviously looks and feels cheap...but I bought my Mom a ladies datejust and we put it next to my Aunt's gen and I couldnt tell them apart aside from the rotor inside the rep was noisier. Anyway thanks again for all the help and input as usual  you guys are a wealth of knowledge 

You have good attitude and I am glad to see that you are trying to learn. The guys here are equally glad to share when you showed openness instead of acting like a doubting Thomas..That is the correct spirit that will make a master out of you someday. It will separate you from those guys who will forever be stuck in the same sphere of ignorance.

When I first started out, I have no idea where to even start differentiating the rep from the gen. The lessons are learnt and knowledge accumulated over the years.

Welcome to RWG and I hope your stay here will be fruitful and meaningful. 

Good thread for anyone new to read.

Welcome to the forum violator.

It takes time and much reading. I totally understand where you are coming from. It seems a little overwhelming trying to understand what our very knowledgeable members are talking about sometimes as they see things the untrained eye does not.

After a very active year on several forums and much reading and research and maybe more importantly much interaction with experienced members...I am finally starting to identify some of the subtle differences and feel a little more confident in my judgement/appraisal.

Obviously not everyone wants to spend that much time and effort on a "hobby" but if you do, this is the best place to learn.

Good luck

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

• Like 2

It will take some time just to figure out the watch slang forget knowing by a pic. (it was a no brainer though) That being said welcome and hangout it will come to you.

Exactly. I'd also like to add that your knowledge early on will most likely be model dependent. Me, for instance, is more modern Submariners (and I even get those wrong sometimes!), just because I have been building a franken for a while. I'm focused on flaws of that model, so I have learned that model. If you threw a couple PAM111s in front of me, I couldn't tell you the difference.

Early on, you'll want to jump on things like this because you think to yourself, "I don't want to miss out on this if its real", or " I have to jump on this before someone else finds it". As you learn, you'll realize its a game of patience.

• Like 1

Sure you can !! Not supposed to, you just can't get caught. ;) That's why it's so important to do your due diligence before you hit the "buy" button. the OP was lucky, he only got stung for 145.00 USD, and he found out he had been had before he paid, but it could just as well have been several hundred or a couple of thousand on a really good fake. And, unless he checked it out right away, he would have been out the money. If you wear it for six months thinking it's a genuine whatever, and then by chance you take it to a dealer and they tell you, "Sorry sir, that watch is a fake" It's way too late to try to get your money back.

Let's face it guys, look at the quality of the high end reps we have here. We have  friendly disagreements all the time as to whether or not some component is gen or rep. So just think what a dilemma a relative newcomer to watches has to contend with on Ebay. Especially the more obscure brands that may not have a posse looking at every listing to out the fakes. He sees a nice watch, boxes papers, looks genuine, and the price is a real bargain. it's one that he has always admired, but couldn't afford. He bids, he wins, and then months later the watch stops. He takes it in to his local watchsmith or maybe a dealer and they give him the bad news. You bought a fake. Even this horrible fake that the OP bought. When I looked at the listing it had 15 bids!! Now anyone here with any experience at all could see this one was a terrible fake, even with the saran wrapped head, and the one blurry photo, but it fooled 15 people who bid on it!! If  the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.If anything about a watch or any other item one is interested in starts to get the alarm bells ringing or you are just unsure about the authenticity, it's definitely best to ask folks who are more knowledgeable than yourself. May save you a pile of money in the long run.    

Very wise and good point

• 2 weeks later...

That is an artistic sounding defect. :lol:

I'll expand to say it appears the bezel had the :09 marker set at :56 when it was hit at that spot, mostly on the crystal, by a round .177 cal projectile fired from Daisy Model 1938 "Red Ryder" reproduction.

The cyclops (date mag) appears to be ARd. The date wheel appears discolored to a tan gold, most likely due to being exposed to the elements by the missing crown. The 3 showing is a flat top.

The end pieces on the bracelet are a poor fit width-wise, but correct length for the case, the top one being crushed.

The bezel insert is not great, the bezel looks to be plated, and flaking. The dial print is crowded and fat, too much kerning on oversized fonts (lacking correct serifs) to fit.

The crown guards are odd. The case bevel is off.

The coronet is nice.

Wrong!!! Absolutely wrong!!! :ban:

Anyone with the brains of a drunk sea cucumber knows there was no such Daisy!

The "1938 Reproduction" you haphazardly bandy about was the 1938B.

:p

When you wear it as a hat it definitely leaves the beaver worse off...

Beavers, are meant to be relished in some other ways, not wearing on the head. Though I guess at one point or another, most of us wore beavers on the head, albeit briefly. :lol:

Sent from Mars using tapatalk