When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Laser Welding 5512/3 pcg ••• COMPLETE •••

Dlf

Always appreciated the early subs especially the odd variation in Cg shape and design, not many were produced in the early days and even less remain untouched or abused. Finding an aftermarket case is not so difficult, the usual suspects sell them and are available to buy off the shelf, but more often than not the shape isn't that convincing or to my prefrence.

I've seen a lot of talk recently on refurbished cases and laser welding, so I thought I'd give it a go. I bought some 316l stainless steel coil, hammered it out flat in small strips so it would be 'easier' to work with.

The machine I used is in a local shop where my friend works.

I had never used a laser welder, but I watched a few YouTube videos and learned what settings in the machine I needed for stainless steel welding. Also being very cautious to avoid melting my fingers off :thumbup:

Big thanks to Rolojack who gave my some very important tips :)

A vital point was to put alminium inside the crown tube as the SS sometimes spatters and would not stick to the aluminum on impact of welding , I used rodico as I could find a perfectly fitting aluminum tube, worked fine and didn't set on fire.

The images are in a chronology of progress so far

Case is a Trevor 5513

Clark bezel

The look im after

370C1CAF-E12E-4250-A160-7081C408B5AE_zps

8CE85ACB-FFE0-4F38-BB75-D0A7CD7DE7F9_zps

523F1573-03A3-4B14-80D9-658AF5CCDD00_zps

B056210A-523A-4B06-B12E-B4F3B88C4A44_zps

Work in progress, not finished yet just wanted to share the progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent...

If i might suggest, you could try to angle the base of the top of the CG's a bit more.  right now the shape of the top is an isosocles triangle.. whereas a PCG  should be a little more scalene.

Here's a gen PCG 5512 case I almost bought recently...  note how the top of the case as it approaches the CG is a trapezoidal shape, and the top of the CG is a scalene triangle:

IMG_5052_zps0910d6b3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finally got the parts together and made the final decision on certain details. The case was rewelded as I wasn't completely convinced in my first pass. Considering there are no original parts on this build its turned out better than I had imagined, saying that there are some top shelf parts in addition.

I decided on TC hands, the hour hand is beautifully proportioned and as close to gen as I could find without broaching similar handsets in the same price bracket, plus TC is a real nice bloke to deal with . I replated them in nickel to add a nice aged aspect to match the dial .

The plexi is absolutely stunning, it's a cwp t19 the clarity and done shape is far superior to any aftermarket crystal I've had, and I've pretty much tried them all. Sure it's 3 times the price of a Clark, but there is a huge huge difference .

The bezel is Phong, again very nicely made compared to other aftermarket counterparts, great teeth.

Ayatha 700 crown tube

Swiss 2846 serviced

Insert is a yuki bleached

Drilled out the case , and bracelet to accommodate thick bars.

Dial was aged and slow baked and given a tropical guilt hue.

It seems pretty simple reading that, but it's taken me 8/9 months to complete!

It's rare I complete a build and are %100 convinced, but this time I sure am :)

Its my bday soon so hopefully I'll get myself a camera! so for now have some crap iPhone pics :-/

B9F0C73A-E758-4715-9781-0298529EF175_zps

6DCFEF4A-6311-4765-B38B-E1E2B43357CA_zps

180A2638-6AF2-485F-9789-C59E368D01F4_zps