When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best current case option for Franken...

PAM-snob

Hi guys , I'm assembling parts and bits for a Franken 16610/16800 build. I already have a gen 16610 Tritium dial and bezel insert. I want to use as many gen parts as I can, that said I'd like to source the best case set that accepts gen parts. I've seen Yuki and Helenarou, I keep seeing Star time and "Sean" in my searching of the forum/s. If there are others that are better AND currently available please advise me.

Thank you and best regards

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC is really your only option- Startime cases are gone from what I hear and Sean's may not be available either and is certainly overpriced.

JMB can drill the lugholes or PBdad out in LA.

Personally, I'd go with the TC 2824-2 and cut the dial feet, but you could do a Yuki 3135 and save the feet and have it serviced.

Thank you both for your replies and intel.

A question...

I've read TC's blog page about his TC 2824-2 and it sounds like he's got a solid reliable build going on. That said i scared to death at cutting the feet off a gen dial! So my question is how reliable is a Yuki 3135 of course after said service (which what's a ballpark figure on a service and who performs such a thing ?).

So the real question TC's movement or a serviced Yuki?

I hope to eventually source a gen 3135

I am currently building an early 16610 my self. I had the luck sourcing an early Sean case with drilled lug holes and a gen case back (thanks again E).

Gen dial, insert is what I have waiting for it.

If you eventually want to go for a gen movement I would go for the Y3135. It will be an easy swap and you saved the dial feet.

I am on the fence going that route my self, need to safe a couple of month to go the Y3135 route and am not sure if I can wait LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know if a TC case set will accept a gen crown tube?

Thanks in advance

Yes it will.

I'm sure Phongs are great, but let's be honest, the 5% improvement over a TC is not worth the cost on a 16610 build. One uses Phongs for historic builds, IMO.

Thank you both for your replies and intel.

A question...

I've read TC's blog page about his TC 2824-2 and it sounds like he's got a solid reliable build going on. That said i scared to death at cutting the feet off a gen dial! So my question is how reliable is a Yuki 3135 of course after said service (which what's a ballpark figure on a service and who performs such a thing ?).

So the real question TC's movement or a serviced Yuki?

I hope to eventually source a gen 3135

Here's a guy with GEN 3135's for $1,700 -  not a bad deal.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1417286063/

Who here can drill lugs nicely?

...and possibly do the serial number too?

My brother has a full Bridgeport Milling Machine, Lathe, Shaper and Delta grinder. He and I are going to have a go at my 5513 lug holes. I'll share the (hopefull) success with you all - if so, he may be willing to take on clients.

TC is really your only option- Startime cases are gone from what I hear and Sean's may not be available either and is certainly overpriced.

JMB can drill the lugholes or PBdad out in LA.

Personally, I'd go with the TC 2824-2 and cut the dial feet, but you could do a Yuki 3135 and save the feet and have it serviced.

Who or what is JMB , and where are they located?

Thanks