When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bleaching an insert

martijnp

Hi guys,

Last week I bought two inserts from a great member here on RWG. I didn't want to f#ck over a good insert so bought these to try some bleaching. I keep the "original" insert and I will switch so now and then 

Well let's see what I did:

IMG_9499_zpsuzqx85ti.jpg
IMG_9500_zpsayg8obcu.jpg

I used very fine sandpaper (scotch bright)
IMG_9511_zpsu7iqoqiy.jpg

After that I used some more rough sandpaper to give it some wear/used look at it
IMG_9513_zpsmadltmg4.jpg

After that was done I used some simple bleach to lighten the colour on the insert (picture was taken before I used the sandpaper :p)
IMG_9501_zpshp3raipc.jpg
IMG_9502_zps1wvlgcan.jpg

I had the insert in there for a minute of 4...
IMG_9512_zps55mao2fc.jpg
IMG_9503_zpsuqvnx4o3.jpg
IMG_9504_zpsljckkdmu.jpg

Watch out that you don't got the bleach on your hands or clothes ;)

Then I cleaned the insert with cold water. Always rinse off the insert and wipe overweight a paper towel. More paint come off than you think.

IMG_9514_zpsnnpt8s9g.jpg

And than the result:

IMG_9517_zpsqtqg3fej.jpg

IMG_9516_zpsjaawhbu2.jpg

IMG_9515_zpsiaed7bvc.jpg

On my Tudor 7928 before:

IMG_9498_zps1bt2ht2s.jpg

and after:

IMG_9518_zps3nukg85h.jpg

That looks nice. There are quite a few older threads over in the Rolex Forum about "aging" inserts. I believe the one thing that people have to be really careful about is that not all inserts are created equal. Some will have no change whatsoever after 5-10 minutes in a bowl of bleach, others if left for that same time period will be completely faded to almost a blank insert!! The  big problem being, you have no idea which ones are going to turn to bare metal almost instantly, and which will resist all but the most determined efforts to age them. Everyone should read some of those threads, and then do as you did, experiment with an insert or two that are "throwaways". Please don't use a 250.00 USD + genuine insert to experiment on.

A lot of the variation in the reaction of the insert to the aging process comes down to the thickness and pore size of the anodize and whether or not it was properly sealed following the dye step. Colored anodize generally runs from .0004" to .0008" thick; thicker anodize will hold more dye and will be somewhat more resistant to fading. Similarly, properly sealed (with hot deionized water or nickel acetate) will resist aging since the coating features additional protection from attack by the elements (in this case bleach or saltwater).

The bleach actually attacks and dissolves the anodize coating, creating a lighter and lighter color as the dye is leached out and the coating itself is destroyed. There is no way to predict how a particular insert will react so it will be important to start off slow and gradually re-expose the insert to your bleach solution (rinsing in between each step) until your desired color is achieved. Alternately, you can use a strong UV light source to fade the color - this will degrade only the colored dye without harming the anodize itself.

Fine result, I didn´t want to have any scratches so I skipped the part with the scoth brite and sanding paper.

My inserts wouldn´t bleach at all, tried bleach, chlorine, hydrochloric acid all first diluted than up to pure - nothing.

Instant results were obtained with the stuff for draining clogged pipes: caustic soda. Put the insert in a container in the washing basin, pour some grains - the nearer to the insert the more result, mix in some water to cover the insert, protect the eyes, do not inhale or touch; start to rinse immediately after 10 seconds with slow running water, You may repeat in increments but always less than a minute. This worked-fast:)

before

5513_1024_0402c_zps98447164.jpg

after trial 1 (exceeded 1 minute with caustic soda after trying for hours with other stuff) first I was shocked and ordered new inserts from cousins.uk, than actually got used to the overfaded looks:)

DW55131024_0833c_zps64b8c5d1.jpg

DW5513_2161_zpsccb0153b.jpg

new inserts arrived

Insert_2231_zps90fca0ad.jpg

and trial 2 with caustic soda only (15 seconds this time) have kept it like this for some months already:

55132258_zps15db7c49.jpg

Rol5513_3026_zps96e2a924.jpg

Fine result, I didn´t want to have any scratches so I skipped the part with the scoth brite and sanding paper.

My inserts wouldn´t bleach at all, tried bleach, chlorine, hydrochloric acid all first diluted than up to pure - nothing.

Instant results were obtained with the stuff for draining clogged pipes: caustic soda. Put the insert in a container in the washing basin, pour some grains - the nearer to the insert the more result, mix in some water to cover the insert, protect the eyes, do not inhale or touch; start to rinse immediately after 10 seconds with slow running water, You may repeat in increments but always less than a minute. This worked-fast:)

before

after trial 1 (exceeded 1 minute with caustic soda after trying for hours with other stuff) first I was shocked and ordered new inserts from cousins.uk, than actually got used to the overfaded looks:)

new inserts arrived

and trial 2 with caustic soda only (15 seconds this time) have kept it like this for some months already:

You did a great job there mate, love the looks of it. I'm guessing to do one over and also like you did for 15 seconds or something to get something between a new black insert and the completely faded one like I have now :)

Here's a first attempt with toilet bowl cleaner containing bleach, pretty good results I thought compared to other methods I've tried, I think I left it in for like five minutes rinsed with warm water for a minute and then cold for a minute. I like it but still not the "perfect ghost" look IMO

5f02c662d9fd8790b879940792c47a95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am guessing this won't work with a ceramic insert?

Likely not. The principle behind fading aluminum inserts is the degradation of the anodize dye, or in Nightwatch's case, complete removal of the anodize coating with a highly alkaline solution. Ceramic is not colored with a dye (I believe pigments are added to the precursors during manufacture of the material) so it is probably impervious to attack - one of the reasons manufacturers switched from aluminum to ceramic for their bezels.

Don't quote me on this as my only experience with ceramics is the application of non-colored aluminum dioxide via plasma spray.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...