When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

15202 or 14790?

urbanshogun

Hey Everyone! 

I've pretty much decided a classic Royal Oak is the last watch i'll ever need! It's perfect for every occasion: formal, casual, on a yacht &c. The only places I can't see it is diving, or in space. I've never done either.

So I've narrowed it down to either a 15202 or a 14790. 

For those that don't know, the 15202 "Jumbo" is a version of the Royal Oak without running seconds, and an extra thin movement & case. I believe the watch clocks in at only 7mm high! 

ap15202-a.jpg

ap15202-back.jpg

It's design is based on my true grail watch, the a-series Royal Oak. Unfortunately, there were only 1000 Stainless Steel A-series watches made. The a-series is pictured bellow. 

ClymerRO08.jpg

The a-series is the watched that "saved" AP during the quartz crisis. The watch cost 10x more than a new submariner when it was released! The legendary JLC movement also features in Genta's other most famous design, the Patek Nautilus. You can read more here

The 14790 is the 36mm version of Genta's design, with running seconds and a closed caseback. 

Are either of these models repped? I've had a search of the forums, but 14790 returns like 5 results. 15202/Jumbo is more, but there is a lot of confusion about this model: most posts seem to be a 15300. Honestly, I don't really care about the movement, I just want to see what the watch feels like on the wrist, and hopefully convince myself I don't need/want a gen (a 15202 will set you back around 10k used). Also, it would be good to know the rep warning signs for if/when I buy a gen. 

Thanks for reading. 

There seems to be a big difference in the dial pattern between the first watch pictured and the last. The "waffle" dial looks completely different as the distance between lines in the top one are about twice the distance of the lower watch. While I would guess that seeing one of these in the wild would be about as likely as seeing a unicorn in Central park, I'm sure the real AP aficionados, especially those that are into AP dress watches could tell the difference pretty easily.

Nice watch, I'm not a big fan of the AP dress watches, and a watch with no seconds hand doesn't float my boat.  

• 3 weeks later...

Bump this thread about with a question on a similar subject...

If making a franken 14790 with gen dial and hands(found)... Which movement to use? A JLC 889 would be nice, but I'm afraid its far too expensive and rare... So i was thinking a 2892 and an EDGE DW! Does that sound reasonable?

Also, is the current latest version 14790 case and bracelet "good enough" to make a franken build reasonable? Like the 14790 b/c of the closed caseback....

Thanks in advance! 

Rille