When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Dial Question: Where is the SWISS?

droptopman

Doing some research for a serial number for a custom engraved 1016.  Interestingly I find pictures and models of 1966 1016's with different dial configurations.  Generally these are good sources so I am a little confused.  Mainly has to do with where the SWISS T<25 is located.  In some instances it is at the bottom of the dial closer to the rehaut and on the low end of the indice ring and in other cases it is on top on the ring.  It appears at least on original dials, that the gilt versions have the SWISS high on the ring and non gilt are low.  The other thought I had was that one or the other changed with a service dial replacement.  

Any thoughts, information....

These are both 1966 from reputable dealers with serial numbers that are from 66.  

post-60288-0-27467400-1424360041_thumb.j

post-60288-0-46277900-1424360345_thumb.j

Neither of the photos show an early service dial, so I don't think that's it.  I do think that you and dbane are generally right about gilt/high, matte/low. 

One confounding factor is the "FFHS" (or "Fat Font High Swiss", as someone on VRF called it), which has similar graphics to the gilt in the OP, except printed on a matte surface.  However, I'm not sure if it was around in 1966.  I'm keenly aware of this variant, as it's the dial on my 1969 example!

LHOOQ is perfeclty correct.

The FFHS is unique in that case but the it is relatively simple to explain why it has the "high SWISS" markings.
Your last picture shows the last version of the gilt dial, after that one the first matte dials appeared which were

FFHS as well as frog foot (first picture).

It is very likely that Rolex used the same cliche (or template) from the latest gilt dial for the printing of the first

matte dials.

That's why these gilt dials and the FFHS look the same (coronet, text, hour markers and SWISS text).

Edited by 1680
  • Like 1

Thank you for the information.  I thought the two pics I posted were original dials, but in some other pics I ran across the year/model and dial configuration confused me, so I thought maybe they were a service replacement.  After reading the story on the FFHS, that makes perfect sense.  I am planning on using Whoopy's dial (non gilt) on my next 1016 and his has the SWISS high like the gilt/FFHS.  Not that it is a big deal to anyone but us, but I will probably need to change my serial number to a later build date to match the dial since it appears no non gilt dials had the high SWISS in 1966.  I will wait and see what Whoop says about the origins of his dial.

Funny before I joined up here I would have never noticed or even thought about it...to some degree more experience and knowledge is a burden...

Thanks

@ droptopman

Your thinking and observations are exactly along the same lines as mine. I have a 1016 with a whoopy dial and I looked into the SWISS positioning. To be honest I got cross-eyed looking at so many dials on google images that I just gave up and trusted that whoopy had done his homework correctly. I'd be intrigued to find out what he says about his dial design. Also he is doing another print run which I am looking forward to receiving. I wonder if this time the SWISS is high or low?

• Like 1