When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new project: 036 - a few questions

drury

Hi guys,

I've bought and sold a few Panerais over the years and I've always enjoyed wearing them. Vintage PAM world is completely new for me though, so I figured I'd ask for your opinion.

I finally went and ordered one of Rollis 036 dials. I am ridiculously excited about this, like a little boy waiting for a new toy.

The 036 is such a classic to me. I love the "Marina Militare" writing and the colour of the dial combined with a titanium case.

So, how do you recommend I go about this?

Dial and hands are taken care of. Also as soon as these elusive bridges pop up, I'm getting some.

What case set do you recommend? I recall Rolli recommending a 061 case, is that as good as I'm going to get or are there other options to consider?

(Being located in Germany doesn't help, I would much rather buy just a case rather than a complete watch and not have to worry about customs.)

For a caseback I believe I should contact jacob? Can anybody let me know how to get in touch with him?

Also who makes the best Ti CG for a Vendome watch?

And finally, I would like to get a Swiss Unitas to be ready for those bridges. I know there are a few versions of the 6497, which is the one to get? High-beat, low-beat, etc.

Sorry for all the questions, really looking forward to this project.

Cheers,

drury

PS.: If anyone should be looking to sell parts I could use for this, shoot me a message!

Edited by drury

I was planning to put my 036 dial in one of the old "Ruby" 036 rep cases with a Sead CG and Tourby crown but unfortunately the lug shape just doesn't hold up after all these years. On the plus side, it has the engravings on the back. Still deciding what to do.

All the 061 h-maker builds I've seen have looked good.

When it comes to PAM36B, not having the lug engravings does not bother me personally.  Watch is 17 years old by now and since it's Ti - a replaced case is not out of the question on some.  In all likelihood there are more than a few shadow 36s out there, actually. PSC case replacement service pieces are shadow, promo material pieces used for catalog glamor shots are shadow, accolade watches (think Panerai regatta participants) are shadow.

If having no lug engravings bothers you, then DSN's case is an OK alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys! Thanks for the input.

I went ahead and placed an order for a 061D H-Fac with sead. Now to play the waiting game ...

@w0lf: What kind of refinishing did you apply? The CG really does look very accurate.

Also is there anything I have to take into consideration when fitting the Pre-V hands? Or is it a simple swap?

And lastly, does anyone know where I could source an accurate caseback? Since the serials etc. is engraved on the case (or rather not engraved in my case) the caseback simply reads "OFFICINE PANERAI Titanium 300m", correct? Does DSN sell individual parts?

Cheers!

Drury,

- Bore out and ream the pin hole in the lever and install a silicone sleeve for firm and viscous lever closure feel

- Flatten the lever pin and sink it just a hair below the CG body to set off the pin for definition

- Add a small bevel to the edges of the lever and the semi-circles of CG body, to reflect direct light and give it pop

- Mill a facet on the inside of the lever to mate with the interior of CG body where the screw-port is to make for proper closer and prevent the "protruding lever" syndrome.

You can't see it all in the top-down view of the CG I pasted above, but most of these steps have corresponding images in this build thread: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/157206-

• 2 weeks later...

The 036 is open case back so the closed back of a 061 is completely wrong?

Dial is now sorted but how do you sort the movement issue?

I have a nice plated Unitas in my 10d build but I still keep it behind a closed back lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tipitapitalk