When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tiger Concept to vintage (fantasy) Sub

maximo101

Hi all,

I am thinking of building my first vintage sub. Are Tiger Concept cases any good? Which vintage dials do the accept? EU Sources for fitting vintage sub dials would be great, as well. As I am not too fussed about close to gen specs, I would try to use whatever fits a Tiger Concept base watch.

Thank you in advance!

Maximo

Edited by maximo101

Don't think this is a good idea. Very little is known about these cases, I for instance never handeled them. EU based sources for parts, only M2M.

I would suggest to go an allready gone route, as you can find many of them on this forum. Specially your first build will allready be hard on your watchmaker skils, resources etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you're not on the 1:1 path and looking to do a (fairly cheap) fantasy build, I'd say the Tiger is great. A lot of members over at homageforum has gone this route (here I believe people like JoeyB). Be observant (or ask) about dial sizes of the specific model you're after, also decide eg if you want sapphire or plexi crystal.

Tes, I've used the Tiger V2 cases, and like them. But the V2 is no longer available, and I don't know if the V3, which comes with a glass crystal instead of acrylic, uses a gen style crystal mount or a glue in. 

I bought the Helenarou case, it has a very good profile shape. It should be very easy to thin out and soften a bit. But it is a glass crystal gasket setup that would require a glue in acrylic crystal to work. So, I won't be using that one. 

6538w5.jpg

After seeing what djulink did with his Tiger watch- his was a 5508, I've decided to try a dial mod to my Tiger 7928.

photo_zps98ab1908.jpg

Based on what Joey has said, mine is a V3 w/o lugholes- bummer- but has a plastic crystal- yea- and a non standard bezel assembly- boo-...

I've ordered a 3/6/9 Rolex dial for dg2813 from rafflestime and figure I may have to file a mm from the diameter- the dial is 29 and I think I need 28 to fit in the Tiger case.

But I figured out how to take the 1/2mm off the dial- my dremel like tool has an attachment where a screw screws into the shaft and I can put the dial on there between a couple of case tube gaskets and spin it in my cordless drill which I clamp in the vice on my workbench. Then I take a file and spin the dial and file it down. I also use some 320 grit wet dry at the end. I did this on another dial yesterday and it worked fine.

So it appears to be fairly simple to get the dial in there. Don't know if I'll mess with the crown and tube and currently have no plans to drill the lugholes. Nobody knows what these watches are anyway! If I could get the crystal squared away and WR, I'd be happy with the watch as it is. The dg2813 is spinning like a racehorse!

Thank you. This is a Tiger Concept v3 case. I took the budget build route with this one. Inside has a dg3804b mated to a gen Tag dial. Chopped the ETA feet and the 4th hand is the small arrow from Rafflestime. Bezel insert is aftermarket 1675. Definitely a cool homage to the Pan AM 6542.