When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Potential Vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms AquaLung Project

whoopy12

Just an idea I was toying with lately, thoughts would be great :) 

Any interest in a gen-spec vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms AquaLung?

I realize Davidsen has a 'rep' of the vintage BP's (2nd watch I owned), but the accuracy is, well, pretty poor (dimensions are way off, incorrect movement, incorrect dial fonts/design, incorrect case back stamping fonts, etc).

My mate has the complete watch, and I’m trying to convince him to let me borrow it so I would be able to do a proper gen-spec replication. 

What would be done:
-Entire case and misc parts would be 3-D laser scanned (to 100microns).
-I would invest in some macro gear to get high quality pictures of the case back engraving, dial, and insert.
-Fabrication: After the vector artwork and CAD models are ready to go, I would be working with 4 different manufacturers to realize each part correctly.

Essentially, this would be a completely custom project. Everything minus the period correct genuine AS1361 movement would have to be manufactured from the ground up. Price point I’m thinking would be around $2k (around 1/10th of the gen’s cost).

Any interest?

IMG_3518-1.jpg
  • Like 2

2k might be just the slightest bit steep, but I think there will be lots of interest. This is one of the last true classics in need of a great rep (if you don't count all the Polish Navy versions on EBay :) ).

Yeah, I realize the price isn't for the faint of heart! Everything would be produced in Europe/US in a small run (10-15 watches TOTAL) if that gives a little perspective.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...