When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's wrong with my 3714?

importr

So I've had this (from new) for about 3 weeks now, and it has been problematic from the start. Arrived doa for which I managed to get going again with lubrication.

When it's fully wound and left on the table, it'll run for 2 days solid.

But if I wear it fully wound, it stops after 15 to 30 mins. This happens every time I wear it. I'm beginning to think that body heat is causing friction in the gears!

Other than throwing it against a brick wall, should I attempt the graphite lubrication mod, or send it to domi for a full stripdown?

I've got another 3714 which has been working like a dream in comparison.

Typical seconds at 6 time-bomb. Some work for awhile, some don't.

Not sure what you did for "lubrication" but it could be that you used improper oils for that.

It's likely not body heat, rather it's your body movement. I'm sure if you put it on your wrist, and stayed motionless it would run for two days also.

If you must own this watch knowing the movement problems, then the best thing you can do is get it serviced immediatly, and either get the graphite mod or the additional jewel mod done. Either way, I would send it to someone that has experience doing them, and not attempt it yourself unless you are prepared to toss it if you screw things up.

I oil the Jewels and pivots with watch oil and an oiler like I do for most of my reps with Asian movements. Never had this problem before and it wouldn't explain why it works for 2 days solid when not worn.

Think it's cursed.

Problem also is that the bezel has to come off to remove the movement?

The reason it works for two days when not worn is that it's not physically being moved around, and the oreintation isn't being changed.

It's not cursed ... any more so than any other seconds at six movement. It's just a crapshoot with them. You're only hope at this point is a complete teardown and service. Having one of the mods done will also help.

• 1 month later...

Well... I finally took a blade to my 3714...

And got the bezel off! No damage thankfully but boy was it tight.

Removed the hands and dial and performed the graphite lube mod. Also lubed the jewel that the secs pivot sits in.

Now I'm pleased to report that the watch is still running 10 hours later whilst being worn. Something that it never managed before. Fingers crossed that I haven't spoken too soon!

20150414_073759-1.jpg

• Like 2

Well... I finally took a blade to my 3714...

And got the bezel off! No damage thankfully but boy was it tight.

Removed the hands and dial and performed the graphite lube mod. Also lubed the jewel that the secs pivot sits in.

Now I'm pleased to report that the watch is still running 10 hours later whilst being worn. Something that it never managed before. Fingers crossed that I haven't spoken too soon!

20150414_073759-1.jpg

looks like I will have to save for a gen 1 of these